Post Doctorate RA A
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Patricia Abellan received her Master of Science in Physics from Aalborg University (Denmark) and her Ph.D. in Materials Science from the Autonomous University of Barcelona (Spain). Her research focused on the study of defects at the atomic level, the interface structure between complex oxides and their relation to materials' properties. In 2011, she joined Prof. Nigel D. Browning's group at the University of California-Davis as a postdoctoral scholar. Her research focused on applying in situ methods to the investigation of materials at the nanoscale in relevant environments (fluid/gas).
- In situ observations of materials at the nanoscale in relevant environments (fluid/gas).
- Low dose imaging, atomic resolution imaging and spectroscopy in the TEM/STEM.
- Development of the Dynamic TEM for microsecond in-situ observations at the nanoscale.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Materials Science, Autonomous University of Barcelona and Institute of Materials Sciences of Barcelona, Spain, 2011
- DEA diploma on Materials Science, Autonomous University of Barcelona, 2008
- M.S. Physics, Aalborg University, Denmark, 2005
Affiliations and Professional Service
- European Microscopy Society
- Spanish Microscopy Society (SME)
- Microscopy Society of America
- Microanalysis Society
- Materials Research Society
Awards and Recognitions
- 2013, Spanish Microscopy Society best Ph.D. Thesis in Materials Science Award, biennial 2011 and 2012
- Travel awards/scholarships: International Microscopy Congress Scholarship (IMC 2014), European Microscopy Society Scholarship (EMC 2008), Spanish Microscopy Society award for young scientist (TEM UCA 2006), SCENET scholarship (Cambridge Superconductivity winter school at the IRC 2006).
- 2006-2010, Spanish Ministry of Science and Technology FPU Fellowship
- Abellan Baeza P, BL Mehdi, LR Parent, M Gu, C Park, W Xu, Y Zhang, I Arslan, J Zhang, CM Wang, JE Evans, and ND Browning. 2014. "Probing the Degradation Mechanisms in Electrolyte Solutions for Li-ion Batteries by In-Situ Transmission Electron Microscopy." Nano Letters 14(3):1293-1299. doi:10.1021/nl404271k
- Abellan Baeza P, TJ Woehl, LR Parent, ND Browning, JE Evans, and I Arslan. 2014. "Factors influencing quantitative liquid (scanning) transmission electron microscopy." Chemical Communications 50(38):4873-80. doi:10.1039/c3cc48479c
- Proetto MT, AM Rush, MP Chien, P Abellan Baeza, JP Patterson, MP Thompson, NH Olson, CE Moore, AL Rheingold, C Andolina, J Millstone, SB Howell, ND Browning, JE Evans, and NC Gianneschi. 2014. "Dynamics of soft Nanomaterials captured by transmission electron microscopy in liquid water." Journal of the American Chemical Society 136(4):1162-1165. doi:10.1021/ja408513m
- Gu M, LR Parent, BL Mehdi, RR Unocic, MT Mcdowell, RL Sacci, W Xu, JG Connell, P Xu, P Abellan Baeza, X Chen, Y Zhang, DE Perea, JE Evans, L Lauhon, J Zhang, J Liu, ND Browning, Y Cui, I Arslan, and CM Wang. 2013. "Demonstration of an Electrochemical Liquid Cell for Operando Transmission Electron Microscopy Observation of the Lithiation/Delithiation Behavior of Si Nanowire Battery Anodes." Nano Letters 13(12):6106-6112. doi:10.1021/nl403402q
- Mehraeen S, J McKeown, PV Deshmukh, JE Evans, P Abellan Baeza, P Xu, BW Reed, ML Taheri, PE Fischione, and ND Browning. 2013. "A (S)TEM Gas Cell Holder with Localized Laser Heating for In Situ Experiments." Microscopy and Microanalysis 19(2):470-478. doi:10.1017/S1431927612014419