Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
- Environment and lifecycle of tropical and mid-latitude convection
- Radar observations and high resolution simulations of convective clouds
- Remote sensing of clouds and cloud property retrievals
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, University of North Dakota
- M.S., Atmospheric Sciences, University of North Dakota
- B.S., Atmospheric Sciences, Sun Yat-Sen University, Guangzhou, China
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Meteorological Society
- American Geophysical Union
Awards and Recognitions
- Best Graduate Dissertations Award, Chinese-American Oceanic and Atmospheric Association (COAA), 2013.
- Peter V. Hobbs Prize, American Meteorological Society 13th Conference on Cloud Physics, 2009.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Overall, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of North Dakota, 2009.
- Outstanding Graduate Student Researcher, Department of Atmospheric Science, University of North Dakota, 2007.
- Sun Yet-Sen University Scholarship, 2000-2003.
- Feng Z, SA McFarlane, C Schumacher, S Ellis, JM Comstock, and N Bharadwaj. 2014. "Constructing a Merged Cloud-Precipitation Radar Dataset for Tropical Convective Clouds during the DYNAMO/AMIE Experiment at Addu Atoll." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 31(5):1021-1042. doi:10.1175/JTECH-D-13-00132.1
- Hagos SM, Z Feng, SA McFarlane, and LYR Leung. 2013. "Environment and the Lifetime of Tropical Deep Convection in a Cloud-Permitting Regional Model Simulation." Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences 70(8):2409-2425. doi:10.1175/JAS-D-12-0260.1
- Wu D, X Dong, B Xi, Z Feng, A Kennedy, G Mullendore, M Gilmore, and WK Tao. 2013. "Impacts of Microphysical Scheme on Convective and Stratiform Characteristics in Two High Precipitation Squall Line Events." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(19):11,119-11,135. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50798
- Feng Z, X Dong, B Xi, SA McFarlane, A Kennedy, B Lin, and P Minnis. 2012. "Life Cycle of Midlatitude Deep Convective Systems in a Lagrangian Framework." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 117:D23201. doi:10.1029/2012JD018362