Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Feng Gao is a Staff Scientist in the Catalysis Science Group within the Chemical and Material Sciences Division at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). He also belongs to the Institute for Integrated Catalysis (IIC) at PNNL. Dr. Gao's research interests are in surface chemistry and heterogeneous catalysis; in particular the understanding of structure-function relationships on well-defined catalytic systems using a variety of spectroscopic techniques and reaction kinetics. After graduating from Tianjin University in 1994 in Chemical Engineering, he continued his graduate training at the same university, studying solid acid, metal and oxide catalysts for various applications. In 2000 he joined Prof. Wilfred T. Tysoe's group at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee studying Surface Science, and received a Ph.D. degree in Physical Chemistry in 2004. He stayed in the same group for 3 years as a Research Associate working on enantioselective chemisorption/reaction and vinyl acetate synthesis on model catalysts. He then joined Prof. D. Wayne Goodman's group at Texas A&M University as a Research Associate in 2007, working on pressure-dependent kinetics and IR spectroscopy for CO oxidation and CO/NO reactions on model noble metal and alloy surfaces. He then worked for 2 years at Washington State University as a Research Staff before joining PNNL in 2011. Dr. Gao is currently leading 3 research projects associated with selective catalytic reduction (SCR) of NOx using state-of-the-art zeolite-based catalysts. He is an author of 80+ peer reviewed publications.
- Experimental catalytic reactions on well-defined heterogeneous catalysts.
- Spectroscopic characterization of surface species relevant to the understanding of the kinetics and mechanisms of environmentally important catalytic reactions, in particular selective catalytic reduction of NOx.
- Synthesis of state-of-the-art zeolite and oxide supported catalysts.
- Operando kinetic/spectroscopic studies of heterogeneous catalytic processes.
Education and Credentials
- 2011-present, Staff Scientist, Catalysis Science, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA
- 2009-2011, Research Staff, Washington State University, Pullman, WA
- 2007-2009, Research Associate, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX (Advisor: Prof. DW Goodman)
- 2004-2007, Research Associate, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI (Advisor: Prof. WT Tysoe)
- 2000-2004, Ph.D., Physical Chemistry, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, WI (Advisor: Prof. WT Tysoe)
- 1990-2000, B.E., M.E., D.E., Chemical Engineering, Tianjin University, Tianjin, PR China. (Advisors: Profs. JW Sun and SH Zhong)
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member of the North American Catalysis Society
Awards and Recognitions
- Recognition of Innovation by DOE EERE, 2015
- Keynote lecture at 24th NAM meeting, 2015