Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Nigel Browning received his undergraduate degree in Physics from the University of Reading, U. K., and his Ph.D. in Physics from the University of Cambridge, U. K. After completing his Ph.D. in 1992, he joined the Solid State Division at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) as a postdoctoral research associate before taking a faculty position in the Department of Physics at the University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) in 1995. In 2002, he moved to the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science at the University of California-Davis (UCD) and also held a joint appointment in the National Center for Electron Microscopy (NCEM) at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL). In 2005 he moved the joint appointment from LBNL to Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) to become project leader for the Dynamic Transmission Electron Microscope (DTEM). In 2009, he also joined the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at UC-Davis to focus on the development of the DTEM to study live biological structures. Dr. Browning held the rank of Full Professor in the Department of Chemical Engineering and Materials Science and the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology and was the Director of the Interdisciplinary Center for Electron Microscopy (ICEM) at UC-Davis. His research focused on the development of new methods in electron microscopy for high spatial, temporal and spectroscopic resolution analysis of engineering and biological structures.
- The structure-property relationships at atomic scale defects and internal interfaces.
- Atomic resolution and sensitivity imaging and analytical techniques in (scanning) transmission electron microscopy (S/TEM).
- Dynamic and Ultrafast methods for TEM, diffraction and spectroscopy.
Education and Credentials
- B.Sc. (Hons.), University of Reading, U. K. (1988). First Class Honors in Physics and Subsidiary Mathematics
- Ph.D., University of Cambridge, U. K. (1992). "A Study of Oxide Superconductors by EELS in STEM." Advisor: Professor L. M. Brown, FRS.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Materials Research Society
- American Physical Society
- American Ceramic Society
- Microscopy Society of America
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
Awards and Recognitions
- 2012 Wiley Research Fellow
- 2010 Microscopy Today Innovation Award for the development of DTEM
- 2008 R&D 100 Award for development of the DTEM
- 2008 Nanotech Briefs Nano 50 Award for development of the DTEM
- 2003 American Ceramic Society Robert L. Coble Award
- 2002 Microscopy Society of America Burton Award
- 1997 University of Illinois Scholar Award for Distinction as a member of the faculty of the University of Illinois
- 1997 NSF CAREER Award
- Browning ND. 2013. "Electron Microscopy: Phase Transition Singled Out." Nature Chemistry 5(5):363-364. doi:10.1038/nchem.1632
- Chambers SA, M Gu, PV Sushko, H Yang, CM Wang, and ND Browning. 2013. "Ultra-low contact resistance at an epitaxial metal/oxide heterojunction through interstitial site doping." Advanced Materials 25(29):4001-4005. doi:10.1002/adma.201301030
- Evans JE, and ND Browning. 2013. "Enabling direct nanoscale observations of biological reactions with dynamic TEM." Microscopy 62(1):147-156. doi:10.1093/jmicro/dfs081
- Gu M, A Genc, I Belharouak, D Wang, K Amine, S Thevuthasan, DR Baer, J Zhang, ND Browning, J Liu, and CM Wang. 2013. "Nanoscale Phase Separation, Cation Ordering, and Surface Oxygen Chemistry in Pristine Li1.2Ni0.2Mn0.6O2 for Li-Ion Batteries." Chemistry of Materials 25(11):2319-2236. doi:10.1021/cm4009392
- Gu M, A Kushima, Y Shao, J Zhang, J Liu, ND Browning, J Li, and CM Wang. 2013. "Probing the Failure Mechanism of SnO2 Nanowires for Sodium-ion Batteries." Nano Letters 13(11):5203-5211. doi:10.1021/nl402633n
- Gu M, I Belharouak, J Zheng, H Wu, J Xiao, A Genc, K Amine, S Thevuthasan, DR Baer, J Zhang, ND Browning, J Liu, and CM Wang. 2013. "Formation Of The Spinel Phase In The Layered Composite Cathode Used In Li-Ion Batteries." ACS Nano 7(1):760-767. doi:10.1021/nn305065u
- Gu M, LR Parent, BL Mehdi, RR Unocic, MT Mcdowell, RL Sacci, W Xu, JG Connell, P Xu, P Abellan Baeza, X Chen, Y Zhang, DE Perea, JE Evans, L Lauhon, J Zhang, J Liu, ND Browning, Y Cui, I Arslan, and CM Wang. 2013. "Demonstration of an Electrochemical Liquid Cell for Operando Transmission Electron Microscopy Observation of the Lithiation/Delithiation Behavior of Si Nanowire Battery Anodes." Nano Letters 13(12):6106-6112. doi:10.1021/nl403402q
- Mehraeen S, J McKeown, PV Deshmukh, JE Evans, P Abellan Baeza, P Xu, BW Reed, ML Taheri, PE Fischione, and ND Browning. 2013. "A (S)TEM Gas Cell Holder with Localized Laser Heating for In Situ Experiments." Microscopy and Microanalysis 19(2):470-478. doi:10.1017/S1431927612014419
- Tong W, H Yang, P Moeck, MI Nandasiri, and ND Browning. 2013. "General Schema for  Tilt Grain Boundaries in Dense Packing Cubic Crystals." Acta Materialia 61(9):3392-3398. doi:10.1016/j.actamat.2013.02.029
- Wang J, S Ganguly, S Sen, ND Browning, and SM Kauzlarich. 2013. "Synthesis and characterization of P-doped amorphous and nanocrystalline Si." Polyhedron 58(Special Issue):156-161. doi:10.1016/j.poly.2012.10.011
- Welch DA, R Faller, JE Evans, and ND Browning. 2013. "Simulating realistic imaging conditions for in situ liquid microscopy." Ultramicroscopy 135:36-42. doi:10.1016/j.ultramic.2013.05.010
- Woehl TJ, KL Jungjohann, JE Evans, I Arslan, WD Ristenpart, and ND Browning. 2013. "Experimental procedures to mitigate electron beam induced artifacts during in situ fluid imaging of nanomaterials." Ultramicroscopy 127:53-63. doi:10.1016/j.ultramic.2012.07.018
- Aguiar J, QM Ramasse, MD Asta, and ND Browning. 2012. "Investigating the electronic structure of fluorite-structured oxide compounds: comparison of experimental EELS with first principles calculations." Journal of Physics. Condensed Matter 24(29):295503. doi:10.1088/0953-8984/24/29/295503
- Evans JE, KL Jungjohann, and ND Browning. 2012. "Dynamic Transmission Electron Microscopy." In Characterization of Materials, 2nd ed, ed. EN Kaufmann. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ.
- Evans JE, KL Jungjohann, PCK Wong, PL Chiu, GH Dutrow, I Arslan, and ND Browning. 2012. "Visualizing Macromolecular Complexes with In Situ Liquid Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy." Micron 43(11):1085-1090. doi:10.1016/j.micron.2012.01.018
- Gu M, I Belharouak, A Genc, Z Wang, D Wang, K Amine, F Gao, G Zhou, S Thevuthasan, DR Baer, J Zhang, ND Browning, J Liu, and CM Wang. 2012. "Conflicting Roles Of Nickel In Controlling Cathode Performance In Lithium-ion Batteries." Nano Letters 12(10):5186-5191. doi:10.1021/nl302249v
- Jungjohann KL, JE Evans, J Aguiar, I Arslan, and ND Browning. 2012. "Atomic-Scale Imaging and Spectroscopy for In Situ Liquid Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy." Microscopy and Microanalysis 18(3):621-627. doi:10.1017/S1431927612000104
- Kabius BC, ND Browning, S Thevuthasan, BL Diehl, and EA Stach. 2012. Dynamic Processes in Biology, Chemistry, and Materials Science: Opportunities for UltraFast Transmission Electron Microscopy - Workshop Summary Report. PNNL-21407, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Parent LR, DR Robinson, TJ Woehl, WD Ristenpart, JE Evans, ND Browning, and I Arslan. 2012. "Direct in Situ Observation of Nanoparticle Synthesis in a Liquid Crystal Surfactant Template." ACS Nano 6(4):3589-3596. doi:10.1021/nn300671g
- Townsend TK, ND Browning, and F Osterloh. 2012. "Nanoscale Strontium Titanate Photocatalysts for Overall Water Splitting." ACS Nano 6(8):7420-7426. doi:10.1021/nn302647u
- Townsend TK, ND Browning, and F Osterloh. 2012. "Overall Photocatalytic Water Splitting with NiOx-SrTiO3 - A Revised Mechanism." Energy & Environmental Science 5(11):9543-9550. doi:10.1039/c2ee22665k
- Woehl TJ, JE Evans, I Arslan, WD Ristenpart, and ND Browning. 2012. "Direct in Situ Determination of the Mechanisms Controlling Nanoparticle Nucleation and Growth." ACS Nano 6(10):8599-8610. doi:10.1021/nn303371y