Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mike Wasem supports communications needs for the Aerosol Climate Initiative and Atmospheric Sciences & Global Change in the Fundamental & Computational Sciences Directorate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory. He also supports communications needs of the Lab Director's Office.
Before joining PNNL in 2010, Mike spent eight years as Communications and Media Relations Manager for the Port of Tacoma, where he managed marketing communications, media relations, and a variety of strategic communications issues, which ranged from legislative affairs, land use and economic development to maritime security, environmental remediation and air quality/emissions.
He spent the previous 14 years in the advertising and public relations agency environment in Seattle, managing and implementing marketing communications programs for clients in the transportation, supply chain logistics, heavy vehicle finance, and heavy equipment manufacturing segments.
Education and Credentials
- Bachelor of Arts, Communications/Journalism, Washington State University
- Minor: Anthropology, Washington State University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Fellow, World Affairs Council, Seattle
- Active or formerly active in Public Relations Society of America (PRSA), International Association of Business Communicators (IABC), American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA), Transportation Marketing & Communications Association (TMCA), and Intermodal Association of North America (IANA).
Awards and Recognitions
- Work at the Port of Tacoma received dozens of awards from the Transportation Marketing & Communications Association (TMCA) and American Association of Port Authorities (AAPA), including the AAPA’s Overall Award for Excellence in Communications Programs among all large Western Hemisphere ports three of six years.
- Projects and programs have earned numerous awards from the Seattle chapters of the Public Relations Society of America (PRSA) and International Association of Business Communicators (IABC).