Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Xu got his Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering at RPI, NY. His Ph.D research involves the development of large-scale parallel simulation tools for multi-scale (atomistic to continuum) modeling for aluminum alloys. Dr. Xu worked at Idaho National Lab (INL) since 2007 and was involved in modeling and simulation for subsurface strongly coupled multi-physical processes including flow, reactive transport,and geomechanics. He joined PNNL in 2010.
- Computational Geomechanics, Nanomechanics & Fluid Mechanics
- Computational Materials and Multiscale Modeling
- High Performance Computing
- Computational Modeling Methods: Finite Element, Finite Difference, Interface Tracking, Meshless Computational Methods, Discrete Element Method (DEM), Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics (SPH), Coarse-grain Dissipative Particle Dynamics (DPD), Dislocation Dynamics, Molecular Dynamics (MD), Monte Carlo (MC), and Nudged Elastic Band (NEB).
Education and Credentials
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, M.S., Computational Mechanics
- National University of Singapore, M.Eng., Civil Engineering
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Member, Institute of Physics (IOP)
- Member, American Physical Society (APS)
- Member, Materials Research Society (MRS)
- Member, American Geophysical Union (AGU)
Awards and Recognitions
- Senior Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
Patents: Claude Zeller, Bertrand Haas, and Zhijie Xu, "Copy Detection System Using Correlations of Copy Detection Patterns." Patent Number: 7787152.
- Book Chapters: Tartakovsky AM, Z Xu, and P Meaki. 2009. "Lagrangian Particle Models for Biological Systems." In: Porous Media: Applications in Biological Systems and Biotechnology. K Vafai, Editor, CRC Press, Taylor & Francis LLC, Boca Raton, Florida.
- Xu Z, P Meakin, and A Tartakovsky. 2009. "Diffuse-Interface Model for Smoothed Particle Hydrodynamics." Physical Review E 79(3):036702-1-036702-7. DOI:10.1103/PhysRevE.79.036702.
- Xu Z and P Meakin. 2009. "A Phase Field Approach to No Slip Boundary Conditions in Dissipative Particle Dynamics and Other Particle Models for Fluid Flow in Geometrically Complex Confined Systems." Journal of Chemical Physics 130(23):234103. DOI:10.1063/1.3152634 Selected in the Virtual Journal of Nanoscale Science & Technology 19(26). Reported in Vertical News - A Top News Source Online (July 28 2009).
- Meakin P and Z Xu. 2009. "Dissipative Particle Dynamics and Other Particle Methods for Multiphase Fluid Flow in Fractured and Porous Media" Progress in Computational Fluid Dynamics 9(6/7):399-408. DOI:10.1504/PCFD.2009.027371.
- Xu Z and P Meakin. 2008. "Phase-Field Modeling of Solute Precipitation and Dissolution at Solid-Fluid Interface." Journal of Chemical Physics 129(1):014705.
- Picu RC, R Li, and Z Xu. 2008. "Strain Rate Sensitivity of Thermally Activated Dislocation Motion Across Fields of Obstacles of Different Kind." Materials Science and Engineering A 502(1-2):164-171.
- Xu Z and RC Picu. 2007. "Effect of Residual and Pre-Existing Solute Cluster on the Dynamic Strain Aging in Dilute Solid Solutions." Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 15(5):385-396.
- Xu Z and RC Picu. 2007. "Thermally Activated Motion of Dislocations in a Field of Point Obstacles: Effect of Obstacle Distribution." Physical Review B 76(9):094112. DOI:10.1103/PhysRevB.76.094112.
- Meakin P, A Tartakovsky, T Scheibe, D Tartakovsky, G Redden, P E Long, S C Brooks, and Z Xu. 2007. "Particle Methods for Simulation of Subsurface Multiphase Fluid Flow and Biogeological Processes." Journal of Physics: Conference Series 78:012047.
- Picu RC and Z Xu. 2007. "Vacancy Concentration in Al-Mg Solid Solutions." Scripta Materialia 57(1):45-48. DOI: 10.1016/j.scriptamat.2007.03.014.
Xu Z, KK Ang, and Q Wang. 2006. "A Study of Interaction Between Embedded SMA Fibers and Host Material." Mechanics of Advanced Materials and Structures 13(1):33-42. DOI: 10.1080/15376490500343758.
- Xu Z and RC Picu. 2006. "Dislocation-Solute Cluster Interaction in Al-Mg Binary Alloys." Modelling and Simulation in Materials Science and Engineering 14:195-206.
- Xu Z, LG Zhou, J Wang, T Cale, and H Huang. 2006. "Three-Dimensional Ehrlich-Schwoebel Diffusion Barriers of Tungsten." Computers, Materials & Continua 5:43-48.
- Xu Z, RC Picu, and J Fish. 2004. "Higher Order Continuum Wave Equation Calibrated on Lattice Dynamics." International Journal of Computational Engineering Science 5:557-573.