Kerstin Kleese van Dam
Computational Sciences & Mathematics Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Kerstin is currently an Associate Division Director in CSMD and Technical Lead of the Scientific Data Management Group at PNNL.
She is personally involved in a range of data management research and development projects spanning numerous science domains to applied computer science research:
* Designing the DOE BioKnowledgebase semantic search, access and integration technologies,
* Computational framework, data representation, annotation and dissemination development for integrated Regional Earth Systems Modeling (iRESM),
* Enabling the move towards Real Time analysis for Chemical Imaging results for large scale experimental and laboratory based facilities,
* Designing a Multi resolution Data model for the PowerGrid,
* Development of a distributed data management and analysis infrastructure for the BELLE II Particle Physics experiment,
* Enabling Hypothesis driven Research and Discovery in Extreme Data,
* Data Intensive Science.
Kerstin is at present a member of the DataOne Semantic Working Group and the Study Group for Data Preservation and Long Term Analysis in High Energy Physics (DPHEP).
She began her research career in 1989 in high performance computing (HPC), developing, parallelizing, and optimizing particularly climate and engineering simulation applications for leadership class computing facilities (positions in the German automotive industry and German Climate Computing Center). I/O-related performance limitations led her in 1999 to refocus her research efforts towards data management for HPC, and subsequently, large-scale experimental facilities.
Kerstin worked at STFC - Daresbury Laboratory, United Kingdom from 1997-2008. During her time there she contributed successfully to the National High Performance Computing Initiative both as application expert and coordinator, later on she co-founded the STFC e-Science Centre and successfully built the organizations scientific data management program. She led and participated in a wide range of national and international projects (e.g. NERC DataGrid, e-Minerals, Integrative Biology, e-Materials, MaterialsGrid, UK Digital Curation Centre, Ontogenisis, VLAB, EcoGrid, ESTEDI)
After leaving STFC, she successfully acted as IT business consultant before accepting a position as Director of Computing for the Biomedical Sciences Faculty at University College London. In October 2009, she joined PNNL as senior research scientist.
Kerstin co-authored more than 100 publications. In the past she has served as a reviewer for the Department of Energy's SciDAC program, the UK Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council, NERC Peer Review College, and Particle Physics and Astronomy Research Council Data Curation Review Panel. She was a member of the Institute for Environmental e-Science Advisory Committee and Open Middleware Infrastructure Institute Technical Advisory Board.
- Kerstin's research interests are foremost in the areas of scientific data management, curation and exploitation, utilizing metadata and semantic technologies.
Education and Credentials
- Technical University in Berlin, Germany; Computer Science - MS (Dipl.- Inform.)
Awards and Recognitions
- She received the British Female Inventors and Innovators Silver Award (2006)
- Kleese van Dam K. 2013. "Boosting Big National Lab Data." Datanami (February 21, 2013):,
- Kleese van Dam K, JP Carson, AL Corrigan, DR Einstein, ZC Guillen, BS Heath, AP Kuprat, IT Lanekoff, CS Lansing, J Laskin, D Li, Y Liu, MJ Marshall, EA Miller, G Orr, P Pinheiro da Silva, S Ryu, CJ Szymanski, and M Thomas. 2013. "Velo and REXAN - Integrated Data Management and High Speed Analysis for Experimental Facilities." In Proceedings of the IEEE 8th International Conference on EScience, October 8-12, 2012, Chicago, Illinois. IEEE Press, Los Alamitos, CA. doi: 10.1109/eScience.2012.6404463
- Kleese van Dam K, AM Walker, and M James. 2012. "Integrating Data Management and Collaborative Sharing with Computational Science Processes." Chapter 21 in Handbook of Research on Computational Science and Engineering: Theory and Practice, vol. 2, ed. J Leng and W Sharrock, pp. 506-538. IGI Global, Hershey, PA.
- Critchlow TJ, G Abdulla, J Becla, K Kleese van Dam, S Lang, and DL McGuinness. 2012. "Data Management Architectures." Chapter 4 in Data Intensive Computing: Architectures, Algorithms, and Applications, ed. I Gorton and DK Gracio, pp. 48-84. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Thomas M, BS Heath, J Laskin, D Li, EC Liu, KL Hui, AP Kuprat, K Kleese van Dam, and JP Carson. 2012. "Visualization of High Resolution Spatial Mass Spectrometric Data during Acquisition." In 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), August 28 - September 1, San Diego, California, pp. 5545-5548. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2012.6347250
- Critchlow TJ, and K Kleese van Dam. 2011. "Big Data Ecosystems Enable Scientific Discovery." HPC Source (November 2011):35-38.
- Gibson TD, AV Kulkarni, K Kleese van Dam, and TJ Critchlow. 2011. "The Feasibility of Moving PMU Data in the Future Power Grid." In CIGRE Canada Conference on Power Systems: Promoting Better Interconnected Power Systems, September 6-8, 2011, Hallifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. CIGRE, Halifax, NS, Canada.
- Kleese van Dam K, D Li, SD Miller, JW Cobb, ML Green, and CL Ruby. 2011. "CHALLENGES IN DATA INTENSIVE ANALYSIS AT SCIENTIFIC EXPERIMENTAL USER FACILITIES." In Handbook of Data Intensive Computing, ed. B Furht and A Escalante, pp. 249-284. Springer, New York, NY.
- Lansing CS, Y Liu, J Yin, AL Corrigan, ZC Guillen, K Kleese van Dam, and I Gorton. 2011. "Designing the Cloud-based DOE Systems Biology Knowledgebase." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel and Distributed Processing Workshops and Phd Forum (IPDPSW 2011), May 16-20, 2011, Anchorage, Alaska, pp. 1062 - 1071 . IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2011.261
- Flannery D, B Matthews, T Griffin, J Bicarregui, M Gleaves, L Lerusse, R Downing, A Ashton, S Sufi, G Drinkwater, and K Kleese van Dam. 2009. "ICAT: Integrating data infrastructure for facilities based science." In Fifth IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-Science '09), December 9-11, 2009, Oxford, United Kingdom, pp. 201-207. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/e-Science.2009.36
- Flannery D, B Matthews, T Griffin, J Bicarregui, M Gleaves, L Lerusse, R Downing, A Ashton, S Sufi, G Drinkwater, and K Kleese van Dam. 2009. "ICAT: Integrating Data Infrastructure for Facilities Based Science." Proceedings of the 5th IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-science 2009), December 9-11, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Matthews B, S Sufi, D Flannery, L Lerusse, T Griffin, M Gleaves, and K Kleese van Dam. 2009. " Using a Core Scientific Metadata Model in Large-Scale Facilities." Proceedings of the 5th International Digital Curation Conference (IDCC 2009), December 2-4, London, United Kingdom. 1(5):106-118. Available online at http://www.ijdc.net/index.php/ijdc/article/viewFile/149/211.
- Salje EKH, E Artacho, KF Austen, RP Bruin, M Calleja, HF Chappell, G-T Chiang, MT Dove, I Frame, AL Goodwin, K Kleese van Dam, A Marmier, SC Parker, JM Pruneda, IT Todorov, K Trachenko, RP Tyer, AM Walker, and TOH White. 3009. "eScience for Molecular-scale Simulations and the eMinerals Project." Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society A 367(1890):967-985. doi:10.1098/rsta.2008.0195.
- Walker AM, RP Bruin, MT Dove, TOH White, K Kleese van Dam, and R P Tyer. 2009. "Integrating Computing, Data and Collaboration Grids: The RMCS Tool."
Philosophical Transactions of The Royal Society A 367(1890):1047-1050. doi:10.1098/rsta.2008.0159.
- Dove MT, AM Walker, TOH White, RP Bruin, KF Austen, I Frame, G-T Chiang, P Murray-Rust, RP Tyer, PA Couch, K Kleese van Dam, SC Parker, A Marmier, and C Arrouvel. 2007. "Usable Grid Infrastructures: Practical Experiences from the eMinerals Project." Proceedings of the UK All Hands Meeting 2007 (AHM2007), Nottingham, United Kingdom, pp. 48-55. Available online at http://www.allhands.org.uk/2007/proceedings/papers/831.pdf.
- Tyer RP, PA Couch, TV Mortimer-Jones, K Kleese van Dam, IT Todorov, RP Bruin, TOH White, AM Walker, KF Austen, and MT Dove. 2007. "Metadata Management and Grid Computing within the eMinerals Project." Proceedings of the UK All Hands Meeting 2007 (AHM2007), September 10-13, Nottingham, United Kingdom, pp. 415-422. Available online at http://www.allhands.org.uk/2007/proceedings/papers/832.pdf.
- Bennett N, R Scott, M Brown, KD O'Neill, M Lane, A Woolf, K Kleese van Dam, and J Watkins. 2006. "Application of the NERC Data Grid Metadata and Data Models in the NERC Ecological Data Grid." Proceedings of the 5th UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2006 (AHM2006), September 18-21, Nottingham, United Kingdom. Available online at http://epubs.cclrc.ac.uk/epub/bitstream/1745/605.pdf.
- Dove MT, LA Sullivan, AM Walker, RP Bruin, TOH White, K Trachenko, P Murray-Rust, LT Todorov, RP Tyer, PA Couch, K Kleese van Dam, and W Smith. 2006. "Molecular Dynamics in a Grid Computing Environment: Experiences Using DL_POLY_3 within the eMinerals eScience Project."
Molecular Simulation 32(12-13):945-952. doi:10.1080/08927020600883293.
- Dove MT, TOH White, AM Walker, RP Bruin, KF Austen, E Artacho, M Calleja, MG Tucker, RP Tyer, PA Couch, K Kleese van Dam, RJ Allan, IT Todorov, C Chapman, W Emmerich, A Marmier, SC Parker, MO Blanchard, Z Du, GJ Lewis, V alexandrov, M Alfredsson, JP Brodholt, and P Murray-Rust. 2006. "Computational Grids for Mid-Sized Collaborative Projects: The eMinerals Experience." Proceedings of the 2nd IEEE International Conference on e-Science and Grid Computing 2006, December 4-6, Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Available online at http://epubs.cclrc.ac.uk/epub/bitstream/1746/grids.pdf.
- Du Z, VN Alexandrov, M Alfredsson, E Artacho, KF Austen, ND Bennett, M Blanshard, JP Brodholt, RP Bruin, CRA Catlow, C Chapman, DJ Cooke, TG Cooper, MT Dove, W Emmerich, SM Hasan, S Kerisit, NH de Leeuw, GJ Lewis, A Marmier, SC Parker, GD Price, W Smith, IT Todorov, RP Tyer, K Kleese van Dam, AM Walker, TOH White, and K Wright. 2006. "A Virtual Research Organization Enabled by eMinerals Minigrid: An Integrated Study of the Transport and Immobilization of Arsenic Species in the Environment." Proceedings of the 5th UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2006 (AHM2006), Nottingham, United Kingdom, pp. 481-488. Available online at http://www.richbruin.org/documents/632.pdf.
- Roberts LEC, LJ Blanshard, K Kleese Van Dam, SL Price, LS Price, and I Brown. 2006. "Providing an Effective Data Infrastructure for the Simulation of Complex Materials." Proceedings of the 5th UK e-Science Programme All Hands Meeting 2006 (AHM 2006), September 18-21, Nottingham, United Kingdom, pp. 101-105. Available online at http://www.allhands.org.uk/2006/proceedings/papers/589.pdf.
- Roberts LEC, LJ Blanshard, RP Tyer, and K Kleese Van Dam. 2006.
"Enabling Effective Collaboration through a Web-Enabled Data Infrastructure."
Proceedings of the 4th IASTED International Conference on Knowledge Sharing and Collaboration: Applications and Technologies (KSCE 2006), November 29-December 1, St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Available online at http://epubs.cclrc.ac.uk/epub/bitstream/1181/532-035.pdf.
- Tyer RP, PA Couch, K Kleese van Dam, IT Todorov, RP Bruin, TOH White, AM Walker, KF Austen, MT Dove, and MO Blanchard. 2006. "Automatic Metadata Capture and Grid Computing." Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2006 (AHM2006), September 18-21, Nottingham, United Kingdom, pp. 381-384. Available online at http://epubs.cclrc.ac.uk/epub/bitstream/1744/650.pdf.
- Walker AM, MT Dove, LA Sullivan, K Trachenko, RP Bruin, TOH White, P Murray-Rust, RP Tyer, PA couch, IT Todorov, W Smith, and K Kleese van Dam. 2006. "Anatomy of a Grid-enabled Molecular Simulation Study: The Compressibility of Amorphous Silica." Proceedings of the UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2006 (AHM2006), September 18-21, Nottingham, United Kingdom. Available online at http://epubs.cclrc.ac.uk/epub/bitstream/1743/640.pdf.
- Woolf A, B Lawrence, R Lowry, K Kleese van Dam, R Cramer, M Gutierrez, S Kondapalli, S Latham, D Lowe, K O'Neill, and A Stephens. 2006. "Data Integration with the Climate Science Modelling Language."
Advances in Geosciences 8(1):83-90. Available online at http://www.adv-geosci.net/8/83/2006/adgeo-8-83-2006.pdf.
- Calleja M, R Bruin, MG Tucker, MT Dove, RP Tyer, L Blanshard, K Kleese van Dam, RJ Allan, C Chapman, W Emmerich, P Wilson, J Brodholt, A Thandavan, and VN Alexandrov. 2005. "Collaborative Grid Infrastructure for the Molecular Simulations: The eMinerals Minigrid as a Prototype Integrated Compute and Data Grid." Molecular Simulation 31(5):303-313. doi:10.1080/08927020500067195.
- Hanlon D, L Sastry, and K Kleese van Dam. 2005. "Integrative Biology at CCLRC." ERCIM NEWS (Issue No. 60). Available online at http://www.ercim.eu/publication/Ercim_News/enw60/hanlon.html.
- Woolf A, R Cramer, M Gutierrez, K Kleese van Dam, S Kondapalli, S Ltham, B Lawrence, R Lowry, and K O'Neill. 2005. "Standards-based Data Interoperability for the Climate Sciences." Meteorological Applications 12(1):9-22. doi:10.1017/S1350482705001556. Available online at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1017/S1350482705001556/pdf.