Computational Sciences & Mathematics Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. John Feo is the director of the Center for Adaptive Supercomputer Software at the Pacific Northwest Laboratory. Dr. Feo received his Ph.D. in Computer Science from The University of Texas at Austin. He began his career at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory where he managed the Computer Science Group and was the principal investigator of the Sisal Language Project. Dr. Feo then joined Tera Computer Company (now Cray Inc) where he was a principal engineer and product manager for the MTA-1 and MTA-2, the first two generations of the Cray's multithreaded architecture. After a short two year “sabbatical” at Microsoft where he led a software group developing a next-generation virtual reality platform, he joined PNNL
Dr. Feo's research interests are parallel programming, graph algorithms, multithreaded architectures, functional languages, and performance studies. He has published extensively in these fields. He has held academic positions at UC Davis and is an adjunct faculty at Washington State University.
- Parallel programming
- Parallel algorithms
- Programming languages
- Performance studies
Education and Credentials
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin TX. Ph.D. (Computer Science), May 1986.
- The University of Texas at Austin, Austin TX. M.A. (Astronomy), May 1981.
- University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia PA. B.A. (Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy), December 1977. Cum Laude, Honors in Physics and Astronomy.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Carson JP, AP Kuprat, SM Colby, CA Davis, C Basciano, K Greene, JT Feo, and A Kennedy. 2012. "Detecting Distance between Injected Microspheres and Target Tumor via 3D Reconstruction of Tissue Sections." In 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), August 28 - September 1, San Diego, California, pp. 1149-1152. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/EMBC.2012.6346139
- Catalyurek UV, JT Feo, AH Gebremedhin, M Halappanavar, and A Pothen. 2012. "Multithreaded Algorithms for Graph Coloring." Parallel Computing 38(10-11):576-594. doi:10.1016/j.parco.2012.07.001
- Chin G, Jr, A Marquez, S Choudhury, and JT Feo. 2012. "Scalable Triadic Analysis of Large-Scale Graphs: Multi-Core vs. Multi-Processor vs. Multi-Threaded Shared Memory Architectures." In Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE 24th International Symposium on Computer Architecture and High Performance Computing, (SBAC-PAD) October 24-26, 2012, New York, NY, pp. 163-170. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/SBAC-PAD.2012.39
- Feo JT, O Villa, A Tumeo, and S Secchi. 2012. "Irregular Applications: Architectures & Algorithms." In IAAA 2011 - Proceedings of the First Workshop on Irregular Applications: Architectures & Algorithms, November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington. Association for Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2089142.2089144
- Halappanavar M, JT Feo, K Dempsey, H Ali, and S Bhowmick. 2012. "A Novel Multithreaded Algorithm For Extracting Maximal Chordal Subgraphs." In 41st International Conference on Parallel Processing (ICPP), September 10-13, 2012, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, pp. 58-67. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/ICPP.2012.10
- Halappanavar M, JT Feo, O Villa, A Tumeo, and A Pothen. 2012. "Approximate Weighted Matching On Emerging Manycore and Multithreaded Architectures." International Journal of High Performance Computing Applications 26 (4 ):413-430. doi:10.1177/1094342012452893
- Feo JT. 2011. "Sisal." In Encyclopedia of Parallel Computing, ed. D Padua, pp. 1827-1831. Springer, New York, NY.
- Choudhury S, L Holder, G Chin, Jr, and JT Feo. 2011. "Large-Scale Continuous Subgraph Queries on Streams." In Proceedings of the 1st Annual Workshop on High-Performance Computing Meets Databases (HPCBD 2011), November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington, pp. 29-32. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), New York. doi:10.1145/2125636.2125647
- Feo JT, O Villa, A Tumeo, and S Secchi. 2011. "Towards Efficient Execution of Irregular Applications: Panel Outline." In IAAA 2011: Proceedings of the First Workshop on Irregular Applications: Architectures & Algorithms, November 12-18, 2011, Seattle, Washington, pp. 43-44. Association of Computing Machinery, New York, NY. doi:10.1145/2089142.2089154
- Joslyn CA, RD Adolf, S al-Saffar, JT Feo, DJ Haglin, GE Mackey, and DW Mizell. 2011. "High Performance Descriptive Semantic Analysis of Semantic Graph Databases." In Proceedings of the 1st High Performance Computing for the Semantic Web (HPCSW 2011), collocated with the 8th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC 2011), May 29-30, 2011, Heraklion, Greece, vol. 736, ed. J Weaver, et al. Sun SITE, Informatik V, RWTH Aachen, Aachen, Germany.
- Mackey PS, JT Feo, PC Wong, and Y Chen. 2011. "A Highly Parallel Implementation of K-Means for Multithreaded Architecture." In Proceedings of the 19th High Performance Computing Symposia (HPC 2011): SCS Spring Simulation Multiconference (SpringSim 2011), April 3-7, 2011, Boston, MA. Society for Computer Simulation International, San Diego, CA.
- Goodman EL, DJ Haglin, C Scherrer, D Chavarr??a-Miranda, JA Mogill, and JT Feo. 2010. "Hashing Strategies for the Cray XMT." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing, Workshops and Phd Forum (IPDPSW 2010), pp. 1-8. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPSW.2010.5470688
- Jin S, Z Huang, Y Chen, D Chavarría-Miranda, JT Feo, and PC Wong. 2010. "A Novel Application of Parallel Betweenness Centrality to Power Grid Contingency Analysis." In IEEE International Symposium on Parallel & Distributed Processing (IPDPS 2010), pp. 1-7. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/IPDPS.2010.5470400
- Gorton I, Z Huang, Y Chen, BK Kalahar, S Jin, D Chavarría-Miranda, DJ Baxter, and JT Feo. 2009. "A High-Performance Hybrid Computing Approach to Massive Contingency Analysis in the Power Grid." In 5th IEEE International Conference on e-Science (e-Science 2009), December 9-11, 2009, Oxford, United Kingdom, pp. 277-283. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/e-Science.2009.46