Biological Sciences Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Bill Morgan is Director of Radiation Biology and Biophysics in the Biological Sciences Division. In this role, he provides scientific leadership at PNNL in the area of effects of radiation exposure to human health. Morgan is a leading researcher in the field of radiation biology and the long-term biological effects of radiation exposure. He is the Principal Investigator for the U.S. Department of Energy's Low Dose Radiation Research Program Scientific Focus Area at PNNL.
Dr. Morgan joined PNNL in 2008. Before then, he was Professor and Director of the Radiation Oncology Research Laboratory at the University of Maryland, Baltimore, as well as an Affiliate Scientist at PNNL. Before joining the University of Maryland in 1999, Morgan led radiation research laboratories at the University of California, San Francisco, and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. He is a scientific representative for regulatory agencies such as the United Nations Scientific Committee on the Effects of Atomic Radiation, the International Commission on Radiological Protection, and the National Council for Radiation Protection. Dr. Morgan is also on the editorial board for Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis and Mutation Research.
- Low dose, low dose rate radiation exposures
- Radiation-induced genomic instability
- Non-targeted effects of ionizing radiation
Education and Credentials
- D.Sc. University of Canterbury, Christchurch, New Zealand, 2003
- Ph.D. Cytogenetics, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ, 1980
- M.Sc. Cytogenetics, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ, 1977
- B.Sc. Botany, University of Canterbury, Christchurch, NZ, 1975
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Environmental Mutagen Society
- Radiation Research Society
- National Institutes of Health reviewer since 1994
- National Cancer Institute reviewer since 1998
- Breast Cancer Research Program reviewer 1990-1998
- International Science Foundation reviewer 1990-1996
- DOE reviewer since 1998
- Advisory committee member for
- - NIH Centers for Medical Countermeasures Against Radiation
- - National Academy of Sciences Board on Radiation Effect Research
- - National Council on Radiation Protection and Measurements
- - International Council on Radiation Protection
- - United Nations Scientific Committee on Effects of Atomic Radiation
- Nielsen CE, X Wang, RJ Robinson, AL Brooks, JA Lovaglio, KM Patton, S McComish, SY Tolmachev, and WF Morgan. 2014. "Carcinogenesis and Inflammatory Effects of Plutonium-Nitrate Retention in an Exposed Nuclear Worker and Beagle Dogs." International Journal of Radiation Biology 90(1):60-70. doi:10.3109/09553002.2014.859765
- Zhang Q, MM Matzke, AA Schepmoes, RJ Moore, BJM Webb-Robertson, Z Hu, ME Monroe, W Qian, RD Smith, and WF Morgan. 2014. "High and Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation Induce Different Secretome Profiles in a Human Skin Model." PLoS One 9(3):Article No. e92332. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0092332
- Morgan WF, and WJ Bair. 2013. "Issues in Low Dose Radiation Biology: The Controversy Continues. A Perspective." Radiation Research 179(5):501-510. doi:10.1667/RR3306.1
- Varnum SM, MB Sowa, GJ Kim, and WF Morgan. 2013. "Radiation-induced Genomic Instability and Radiation Sensitivity." In Encyclopedia of Radiation Oncology, ed. LW Brady and TE Yaeger. Springer, New York, NY.
- Nielsen CE, DA Wilson, AL Brooks, S McCord, GE Dagle, AC James, SY Tolmachev, BD Thrall, and WF Morgan. 2012. "Microdistribution and Long-Term Retention of 239Pu (NO3)4 in the Respiratory Tracts of an Acutely Exposed Plutonium Worker and Experimental Beagle Dogs." Cancer Research 72(21):5529-5536. doi:10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-12-1824
- Hu Z, YM Kim, MB Sowa, RJ Robinson, X Gao, TO Metz, WF Morgan, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Metabolomic Response of Human Skin Tissue to Low Dose Ionizing Radiation." Molecular Biosystems 8(7):1979-1986. doi:10.1039/C2MB25061F
- Thomas SN, KM Waters, WF Morgan, A Yang, and JE Baulch. 2012. "Quantitative Proteomic Analysis of Mitochondrial Proteins Reveals Pro-Survival Mechanisms in the Perpetuation of Radiation-Induced Genomic Instability." Free Radical Biology & Medicine 53(3):618-628. doi:10.1016/j.freeradbiomed.2012.03.025
- Kim YM, TO Metz, Z Hu, SD Wiedner, JS Kim, RD Smith, WF Morgan, and Q Zhang. 2011. "Formation of dehydroalanine from mimosine and cysteine: artifacts in gas chromatography/mass spectrometry based metabolomics ." Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 25:2561-2564. doi:10.1002/rcm.5134
- Morgan WF. 2011. "Communicating Non-Targeted Effects of Ionizing Radiation to Achieve Adaptive Homeostasis in Tissues." Current Molecular Pharmacology 4(2):135-140. doi:10.2174/1874467211104020135
- Morgan WF. 2011. "Radiation Induced Genomic Instability." Health Physics 100(3):280-281. doi:10.1097/HP.0b013e3182082f12
- Wilson DA, AM Brigantic, and WF Morgan. 2011. "The Association of Inbreeding With Lung Fibrosis Incidence in Beagle Dogs That Inhaled 238PuO2 or 239PuO2." Radiation Research 176(6):781-786. doi:10.1667/RR2686.1
- Aypar U, WF Morgan, and JE Baulch. 2011. "Radiation-Induced Epigenetic Alterations after Low and High LET Irradiations." Mutation Research. Fundamental and Molecular Mechanisms of Mutagenesis 707(1-2):24-33. doi:10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2010.12.003
- Aypar U, WF Morgan, and JE Baulch. 2011. "Radiation-induced genomic instability: Are epigenetic mechanisms the missing link?" International Journal of Radiation Biology 87(2):171-191.
- Feinendegen LE, AL Brooks, and WF Morgan. 2011. "Biological Consequences and Health Risks Of Low-Level Exposure to Ionizing Radiation: Commentary on the Workshop." Health Physics 100(3):247-59. doi:10.1097/HP.0b013e31820a83ae
- Morgan WF, and MB Sowa. 2011. "What Have "Omics" Taught Us about the Health Risks Associated with Exposure to Low Doses of Ionizing Radiation." Chapter 15 in Cancer Risk Evaluation: Methods and Trends, ed. G Obe, et al, pp. 233-244. Wiley-VCH Verlag GmbH & Co., Weinheim, Germany.
- Sowa MB, W Goetz, JE Baulch, AJ Lewis, and WF Morgan. 2011. "No Evidence for a Low Linear Energy Transfer Adaptive Response in Irradiated RKO Cells." Radiation Protection Dosimetry 143(2-4):311-314. doi:10.1093/rpd/ncq487
- Sowa MB, W Goetz, JE Baulch, DN Pyles, J Dziegielewski, S Yovino, AR Snyder, SM de Toledo, EI Azzam, and WF Morgan. 2010. "Lack of evidence for low-LET radiation induced bystander response in normal human fibroblasts and colon carcinoma cells." International Journal of Radiation Biology 86(2):102-113. doi:10.3109/09553000903419957
- Wilson DA, and WF Morgan. 2010. "Learning new tricks from old data: capitalizing on decades of investment." Health Physics Society Newsletter XXXVIII(10):12-13.
- Dauer LT, AL Brooks, DG Hoel, WF Morgan, D Stram, and P Tran. 2010. "Review and Evaluation of Updated Research on the Health Effects Associated with Low-Dose Ionizing Radiation." Radiation Protection Dosimetry 140(2):103-136.
- Morgan WF, and MB Sowa. 2009. "Non-Targeted Effects of Ionizing Radiation: Implications for Risk Assessment and the Radiation Dose Response Profile." Health Physics 97(5):426-432. doi:10.1097/HP.0b013e3181ab98c7
- Miller JH, S Jin, WF Morgan, A Yang, Y Wan, U Aypar, JS Peters, and DL Springer. 2008. "Profiling mitochondrial proteins in radiation-induced genome-unstable cell lines with persistent oxidative stress by mass spectrometry." Radiation Research 169(6):700-706.
- Morgan WF, and MB Sowa. 2007. "Non-Targeted Bystander Effects Induced by Ionizing Radiation." Mutation Research 616(1-2):159-164.
- Morgan WF, and MB Sowa. 2007. "Targeted and Non-Targeted Induction of Chromosomal Rearrangements After Exposure to Ionizing Radiation." In Chromosomal Alterations: Methods, Results and Importance in Human Health, pp. 87-97. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany.
- Morgan WF, and MB Sowa. 2007. "Towards Resolving Conflicting Reports of Radiation-Induced Genomic Instability in Populations Exposed to Ionizing Radiation: Implications for the Hibakusha." In Radiation Risk Perspectives: Proceedings of the Second Nagasaki Symposium of International Consortium for Medical Care of Hibakusha and Radiation Life Science, Nagasaki, Japan, 26-27 July 2006. Published in International Congress Series, vol. 1299, pp. 128-134. Elsevier B.V., Amsterdam, Netherlands. doi:doi:10.1016/j.ics.2006.10.003
- Sowa MB, W Goetz, JE Baulch, and WF Morgan. 2006. "Low-LET Bystander Responses in Gap Junction Null Human Colon Carcinoma Cells (RK036)." Radiation Research 166(4):688-689.
- Resat MS, BJ Arthurs, BJ Estes, and WF Morgan. 2006. "Effects of Ionizing Radiation on Cellular Structures, Induced Instability, and Carcinogenesis." In Cancer: Cell Structures, and Tumour Pathogenesis, Experientia Supplementum, vol. 96, ed. LP Bignold, pp. 293-301. Birkhauser, Basel, Switzerland.
- Morgan WF, and MB Sowa. 2005. "Effects of Ionizing Radiation in Nonirradiated Cells." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 102(40):14127-14128.
- Resat MS, and WF Morgan. 2004. "Microbeam Developments and Applications: A Low Linear Energy Transfer Perspective." Cancer and Metastasis Reviews 23(3-4):323-331.
- Resat MS, and WF Morgan. 2004. "Radiation-Induced Genomic Instability: A Role for Secreted Soluble Factors in Communicating the Radiation Response to Non-Irradiated Cells." Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 92(5):1013-1019.
- Morgan, W.F. and Sowa, M.B., Non-targeted bystander effects induced by ionizing radiation. Mutation Research 616, 159-164 (2007).
- Huang, L., Nickoloff, J.A., Kim, P.M. and Morgan, W.F. Targeted and non-targeted effects of low-dose ionizing radiation on delayed genomic instability in human cells. Cancer Research 67, 1099-1104 (2007).
- Durant, S.T., Paffett, K.S., Shrivastav, M., Timmins, G.S., Morgan, W.F. and Nickoloff, J.A. UV radiation induces delayed hyperrecombination associated with hypermutation in human cells. Molecular Cell Biology 26, 6047-6055 (2006)
- Kim, G.J., Fiskum, G. and Morgan, W.F. A role for mitochondrial dysfunction in perpetuating radiation induced genomic instability. Cancer Research 66, 10377-10383 (2006).
- Snyder, A.R. and Morgan, W.F., Lack of consensus gene expression changes associated with radiation-induced chromosomal instability. DNA Repair 4, 958-970 (2005).
- Huang, L., Grim, S., Smith, L.E., Kim, P.M., Nickoloff, J.A., Goloubeva, O.G. and Morgan, W.F. Ionizing radiation induces delayed hyperrecombination in mammalian cells. Molecular Cell Biology 24, 5060-5068 (2004).
- Morgan, W.F., Non-targeted and delayed effects of exposure to ionizing radiation: II. Radiation induced genomic instability and bystander effects in vivo, clastogenic factors and transgenerational effects. Radiation Research 159, 581-596 (2003).
- Morgan, W.F., Non-targeted and delayed effects of exposure to ionizing radiation: I. Radiation induced genomic instability and bystander effects in vitro. Radiation Research 159, 567-580 (2003).
- Paris, F., Perez, G.I., Haimovitz-Friedman, A., Nguyen, H., Fuks, Z., Bose, M., Ilagan, A., Hunt, P.A., Morgan, W.F., Tilly, J.L. and Kolesnick, R. Sphingosine 1-phosphate preserves fertility in irradiated female mice without propagating genomic damage in offspring. Nature Medicine 8, 901-902, (2002).
- Limoli, C.L., Kaplan, M.I., Giedzinski, E. and Morgan, W.F. Attenuation of radiation-induced genomic instability by free radical scavengers and cellular proliferation. Free Radical Biology & Medicine 31: 10-19 (2001).
- Limoli, C.L., Giedzinski, E., Morgan, W.F. and Cleaver, J.E. Polymerase n deficiency in the XP variant uncovers an overlap between the S phase checkpoint and double-strand break repair. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (USA) 97, 7939-7946 (2000).