ARM Aerial Facility
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Jason Tomlinson’s primary area of research is the interaction between aerosols and clouds and the resulting effect on the climate. He is the operation and engineering lead for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Climate Research Facility Aerial Vehicles Program. That program obtains airborne measurements to answer key science questions in support of cloud and climate research.
Tomlinson also leads the Interagency Coordinating Committee for Airborne Geosciences Research and Application. That national committee works to increase the effective use of the Federal airborne fleet for geoscience research, including national and international field campaigns.
He has been involved with numerous aircraft-based field campaigns. Tomlinson contributed operations and flight planning expertise for the 2008 Indirect and Semi-Direct Aerosol Campaign in Alaska. Before joining PNNL, at Texas A&M University, Tomlinson made in-situ airborne measurements of aerosols in Mexico City, the Eastern Pacific Ocean, and central Oklahoma and has studied their effects on the clouds and climate in those regions. He also has made ship-based measurements of aerosols and has studied their effect on stratocumulus clouds in the Southeastern Pacific Ocean.
- Aerosol-cloud-climate interactions
Education and Credentials
- B.S. in Physics and Meteorology, Valparaiso University, Indiana
- Anticipated in May 2009: Ph.D. in Atmospheric Sciences, Texas A&M University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Interagency Coordinating Committee for Airborne Geoscience Research and Applications, Chair
- American Meteorological Society, Member
- American Geophysical Union, Member
- American Association for Aerosol Research, Member
- Creamean J, K Suski, D Rosenfeld, A Cazorla, PJ DeMott, RC Sullivan, AB White, FM Ralph, P Minnis, JM Comstock, JM Tomlinson, and K Prather. 2013. "Dust and Biological Aerosols from the Sahara and Asia Influence Precipitation in the Western US." Science 339(6127):1572-1578. doi:10.1126/science.1227279
- Kassianov EI, D Chand, LK Berg, JD Fast, JM Tomlinson, R Ferrare, CA Hostetler, and J Hair. 2012. "Multi-year Satellite and Surface Observations of AOD in support of Two-Column Aerosol Project (TCAP) Field Campaign." In Remote Sensing of Clouds and the Atmosphere XVII; and Lidar Technologies, Techniques, and Measurements for Atmospheric Remote Sensing VIII, September 24-27, 2012, Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 8534, ed. EI Kassianov, et al, p. Paper No. 853407. SPIE Publishing, Bellingham, WA. doi:10.1117/12.977862
- Pekour MS, B Schmid, D Chand, JM Hubbe, CD Kluzek, DA Nelson, JM Tomlinson, and DJ Cziczo. 2012. "Development of a new airborne humidigraph system." Aerosol Science and Technology 47(2):201-207. doi:10.1080/02786826.2012.741274
- Vogelmann AM, G McFarquhar, JA Ogren, DD Turner, JM Comstock, G Feingold, CN Long, H Jonsson, A Bucholtz, DR Collins, GS Diskin, H Gerber, P Lawson, R Woods, E Andrews, HJ Yang, CJ Chiu, D Hartsock, JM Hubbe, C Lo, A Marshak, J Monroe, SA McFarlane, B Schmid, JM Tomlinson, and T Toto. 2012. "RACORO Extended-Term Aircraft Observations of Boundary-Layer Clouds." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 93(6):861-878.
- Zaveri RA, WJ Shaw, DJ Cziczo, B Schmid, R Ferrare, ML Alexander, M Alexandrov, RJ Alvarez, WP Arnott, D Atkinson, S Baidar, RM Banta, JC Barnard, J Beranek, LK Berg, FJ Brechtel, WA Brewer, JF Cahill, B Cairns, CD Cappa, D Chand, S China, JM Comstock, MK Dubey, RC Easter, Jr, MH Erickson, JD Fast, C Floerchinger, BA Flowers, E Fortner, JS Gaffney, MK Gilles, K Gorkowski, WI Gustafson, Jr, MS Gyawali, J Hair, M Hardesty, JW Harworth, SC Herndon, N Hiranuma, CA Hostetler, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, H Jeong, BT Jobson, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, CD Kluzek, B Knighton, KR Kolesar, C Kuang, A Kubatova, AO Langford, A Laskin, NS Laulainen, RD Marchbanks, C Mazzoleni, F Mei, RC Moffet, DA Nelson, M Obland, H Oetjen, TB Onasch, I Ortega, M Ottaviani, MS Pekour, KA Prather, JG Radney, R Rogers, SP Sandberg, A Sedlacek, C Senff, G Senum, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, C Song, SR Springston, R Subramanian, K Suski, JM Tomlinson, RM Volkamer, HA Wallace, J Wang, AM Weickmann, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, A Zelenyuk, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Overview of the 2010 Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7647-7687. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7647-2012
- Duplissy J, PF DeCarlo, J Dommen, MR Alfarra, A Metzger, I Barmpadimos, ASH Prevot, E Weingartner, T Tritscher, M Gysel, A Aiken, JL Jimenez, MR Canagaratna, DR Worsnop, DR Collins, JM Tomlinson, and U Baltensperger. 2011. "Relating hygroscopicity and composition of organic aerosol particulate matter." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 11(3):1155-1165. doi:10.5194/acp-11-1155-2011
- McFarquhar G, B Schmid, A Korolev, JA Ogren, PB Russell, JM Tomlinson, DD Turner, and WJ Wiscombe. 2011. "Airborne Instrumentation Needs for Climate and Atmospheric Research." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 92(9):1193-1196. doi:10.1175/2011BAMS3180.1
- McFarquhar G, SJ Ghan, J Verlinde, A Korolev, JW Strapp, B Schmid, JM Tomlinson, M Wolde, SD Brooks, DJ Cziczo, MK Dubey, PhD, J Fan, CJ Flynn, I Gultepe, JM Hubbe, MK Gilles, A Laskin, P Lawson, WR Leaitch, PS Liu, X Liu, D Lubin, C Mazzoleni, AM Macdonald, RC Moffet, H Morrison, M Ovchinnikov, MD Shupe, DD Turner, S Xie, A Zelenyuk, K Bae, M Freer, and A Glen. 2011. "Indirect and Semi-Direct Aerosol Campaign: The Impact of Arctic Aerosols on Clouds ." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 92(2):183 - 201. doi:10.1175/2010BAMS2935.1
- Roberts GC, DA Day, LM Russell, EJ Dunlea, JL Jimenez, JM Tomlinson, DR Collins, Y Shinozuka, and AD Clarke. 2010. "Characterization of particle cloud droplet activity and composition in the free troposphere and the boundary layer during INTEX-B." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(14):6627-6644. doi:10.5194/acp-10-6627-2010
- Dunlea EJ, P DeCarlo, A Aiken, J Kimmel, RE Peltier, RJ Weber, JM Tomlinson, DR Collins, Y Shinozuka, CS McNaughton, SG Howell, AD Clarke, L Emmons, E Apel, GG Pfister, A van Donkelaar, RV Martin, DB Millet, CL Heald, and JL Jimenez. 2009. "Evolution of Asian aerosols during transpacific transport in INTEX-B ." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(19):7257-7287 .
- Jimenez JL, MR Canagaratna, NM Donahue, ASH Prevot, Q Zhang, JH Kroll, PF DeCarlo, JD Allan, H Coe, NL Ng, A Aiken, KS Docherty, IM Ulbrich, AP Grieshop, AL Robinson, J Duplissy, JD Smith, KR Wilson, VA Lanz, C Hueglin, YL Sun, J Tian, A Laaksonen, T Raatikainen, J Rautiainen, P Vaattovaara, M Ehn, M Kulmala, JM Tomlinson, DR Collins, MJ Cubison, EJ Dunlea, JA Huffman, TB Onasch, MR Alfarra, PI Williams, K Bower, Y Kondo, J Schneider, F Drewnick, S Borrmann, S Weimer, K Demerjian, D Salcedo, L Cottrell, R Griffin, A Takami, T Miyoshi, S Hatakeyama, A Shimono, JY Sun, YM Zhang, K Dzepina, J Kimmel, D Sueper, JT Jayne, SC Herndon, A Trimborn, LR Williams, EC Wood, AM Middlebrook, CE Kolb, U Baltensperger, and DR Worsnop. 2009. "Evolution of Organic Aerosols in the Atmosphere." Science 326(5959):1525-1529. doi:10.1126/science.1180353
- Wood R, KK Comstock, CS Bretherton, C Cornish, JM Tomlinson, DR Collins, and C Fairall. 2008. "Open cellular structure in marine stratocumulus sheets." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 113(D12):Art. No. D12207. doi:10.1029/2007JD009371
- DeCarlo, PF, EJ Dunlea, JR Kimmel, AC Aiken, D Sueper, J Crounse, PO Wennberg, L Emmons, Y Shinozuka, A Clarke, J Zhou, J. Tomlinson, DR Collins, D Knapp, AJ Weinheimer, DD Montzka, T Campos, and JL Jimenez. 2008. "Fast airborne aerosol size and chemistry measurements with the high resolution aerosol mass spectrometer during the MILAGRO Campaign." Atmos. Chem. Phys. 8: 4027-4048.
- Tomlinson, JM, R Li, and DR Collins. 2007. "Physical and chemical properties of the aerosol within the southeastern Pacific marine boundary layer." J. Geophys. Res., 112, D12211, doi:10.1029/2006JD007771
- Kollias P, CW Fairall, P Zuidema, J Tomlinson, GA Wick. 2004. "Observations of marine stratocumulus in SE Pacific during the PACS 2003 cruise." Geophys. Res. Lett. 31: Art. L22110, doi:10.1029/2004GL020751