ARM Data Integration
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Krista is a senior software developer on the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) program for which she is involved in a wide range of scientific data management activities. Most recently these have included leading an effort to develop an Interactive Software Development Environment to improve accessibility and usability of ARM archived netCDF data by automating data retrieval, transformation, and consolidation, and the development of a standard for the representation of ARM data quality information.
Early in her career at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Krista was involved in a variety of projects in the areas of energy system research, power transmission and distribution analysis which included the application of ANNs, Fuzzy Logic, Expert Systems, and Object Oriented Programming to increase power system reliability, flexibility, and performance.
She shifted her focus to information technologies in 1995 serving as the database manager, and interface module developer for a real-time, wide-area network, decision support system before joining ARM in 1998.
- Simplifying the accessibility and usability of scientific data.
- Defining and documenting data quality in scientific data sets
- Management of automated scientific data processes
- Data provenance
- Data uncertainty assessment
Education and Credentials
- B. S. E. E. Electrical Engineering, Auburn University 1988
- M. S. Electrical Engineering, Auburn University 1991
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Riihimaki LD, KL Gaustad, and SA McFarlane. 2012. Climate Science for a Sustainable Energy Future Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Best Estimate (CSSEFARMBE). PNNL-21831, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- McFarlane SA, KL Gaustad, EJ Mlawer, CN Long, and J Delamere. 2011. "Development of a high spectral resolution surface albedo product for the ARM Southern Great Plains Central Facility." Atmospheric Measurement Techniques 4(9):1713-1733. doi:10.5194/amt-4-1713-2011
- Gaustad KL, CJ Flynn, SJ Beus, and BD Ermold. 2010. "The Development of QC Standards for ARM Data Products." In Proceedings of the 19th ACM International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing, pp. 548-553. ACM , New York, NY. doi:10.1145/1851476.1851556
- Xie S, R McCoy, SA Klein, RT Cederwall, WJ Wiscombe, EE Clothiaux, KL Gaustad, JC Golaz, S Hall, M Jensen, KL Johnson, Y Lin, CN Long, JH Mather, RA McCord, SA McFarlane, G Palanisamy, Y Shi, and DD Turner. 2010. "ARM Climate Modeling Best Estimate Data - A new data product for climate modelers ." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 91(1):13-20. doi:10.1175/2009BAMS2891.1
- Turner DD, SA Clough, JC Liljegren, EE Clothiaux, KE Cady-Pereira, and KL Gaustad. 2007. "Retrieving Liquid Water Path and Precipitable Water Vapor from the Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Microwave Radiometers." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 45(11 PT. 2):3680-3690. doi:10.1109/TGRS.2007.903703
- Long CN, TP Ackerman, KL Gaustad, and JN Cole. 2006. "Estimation of Fractional Sky Cover from Broadband Shortwave Radiometer Measurements." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 111(D11):D11204, doi: 10.1029/2005JD006475.