Scientist, Team Lead
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Chitra Sivaraman is the Team Lead for the Data Integration group at PNNL that supports DOE's Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program (ARM), EERE's Atmosphere to Electron (A2e) Initiative and EERE's LightMAT Data Hub.
In her capacity as manager for the Data Integration group, she manages the development of software products across five Department of Energy laboratories that include Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Oakridge National Laboratory, Brookhaven National Laboratory, Livermore National Laboratory and Argonne National Laboratory.
The Data Integration group manages data from 360+ instruments from 3 permanent sites and 3 mobile facilities with an average daily incoming data of 750 GB with 45,000 files/day. These products are collected, calibrated, processed and combined to produce higher quality data and delivered to the ARM Data. The group engages with instrument mentors, translators, external developers, the Data Quality Office, and Data Archive staff to ensure completeness in all steps required for ARM data production.
As manager, Chitra ensures tasks and projects have clear scope, schedule and resource requirements. She also ensures that projects are adequately planned, technically sound, risks are addressed and results are delivered on schedule.
- Chitra's research interests are in the areas of scientific data management and development of software products to fulfill unmet measurement needs and the representation of this data in models.
Education and Credentials
- Stanford University, Stanford, CA
- University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- Lim KS, LD Riihimaki, JM Comstock, B Schmid, C Sivaraman, Y Shi, and G McFarquhar. 2016. "Evalution of long-term surface-retrieved cloud-droplet number concentration with in situ aircraft observations." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 121(5):2318–2331. doi:10.1002/2015JD024082
- Stephan EG, TO Elsethagen, LK Berg, MC Macduff, PR Paulson, WJ Shaw, C Sivaraman, WP Smith, and A Wynne. 2016. "Semantic Catalog of Things, Services, and Data to Support a Wind Data Management Facility." Information Systems Frontiers 18(4):679-691. doi:10.1007/s10796-015-9546-5
- Parworth C, JD Fast, F Mei, TR Shippert, C Sivaraman, A Tilp, T Watson, and Q Zhang. 2015. "Long-term Measurements of Submicrometer Aerosol Chemistry at the Southern Great Plains (SGP) Using an Aerosol Chemical Speciation Monitor (ACSM)." Atmospheric Environment 106:43-55. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.01.060
- Sivaraman C, EG Stephan, MC Macduff, and CD Hagler. 2014. Data Archive and Portal Thrust Area Strategy Report. PNNL-23718, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Kassianov EI, CJ Flynn, AS Koontz, C Sivaraman, and JC Barnard. 2013. "Failure and Redemption of Multifilter Rotating Shadowband Radiometer (MFRSR)/Normal Incidence Multifilter Radiometer (NIMFR) Cloud Screening: Contrasting Algorithm Performance at Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) North Slope of Alaska (NSA) and Southern Great Plains (SGP) Sites." Atmosphere 4(3):299-314. doi:10.3390/atmos4030299
- Stephan EG, TO Elsethagen, AS Wynne, C Sivaraman, MC Macduff, LK Berg, and WJ Shaw. 2013. "A Linked Fusion of Things, Services, and Data to Support a Collaborative Data Management Facility." In 9th International Conference on Collaborative Computing: Networking, Applications and Worksharing (Collaboratecom 2013), October 20-23, 2013, Austin, Texas, pp. 579-584. ICST, the Institute for Computer science, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, Austin, , United States. doi:10.4108/icst.collaboratecom.2013.254158
- Thorsen TJ, Q Fu, JM Comstock, C Sivaraman, MA Vaughan, D Winker, and DD Turner. 2013. "Macrophysical Properties of Tropical Cirrus Clouds from the CALIPSO Satellite and from Ground-based Micropulse and Raman Lidars." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(16):9209-9220. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50691
- Dupont JC, M Haeffelin, Y Morille, JM Comstock, CJ Flynn, CN Long, C Sivaraman, and RK Newsom. 2011. "Cloud properties derived from two lidars over the ARM SGP site." Geophysical Research Letters 38:Article No. L08814. doi:10.1029/2010GL046274
- Paulson PR, TE Carroll, C Sivaraman, PA Neorr, SD Unwin, and SS Hossain. 2011. "Simplifying Probability Elicitation and Uncertainty Modeling in Bayesian Networks." In Proceedings of the 22nd Midwest Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science Conference (MAICS 2011), April 16-17, 2011, Cincinnati, OH, ed. S Visa, A Inoue and AL Ralescu, pp. 114-119. Omnipress, Madison, WI.
- Newsom RK, DD Turner, B Mielke, MF Clayton, R Ferrare, and C Sivaraman. 2009. "Simultaneous analog and photon counting detection for Raman lidar." Applied Optics 48(20):3903-3914.
- Whelan G, WD Millard, GM Gelston, TP Khangaonkar, MA Pelton, DL Strenge, Z Yang, C Lee, C Sivaraman, AJ Stephan, BL Hoopes, and KJ Castleton. 2007. "Using FRAMES to Manage Environmental and Water Resources." In Proceedings of the World Environmental and Water Resources Congress 2007: Restoring our Natural Habitat, May 15–19, 2007, Tampa, Florida, USA, ed. Karen C. Kabbes. American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston, VA. doi:10.1061/40927(243)130
- Whelan G, WD Millard, GM Gelston, MA Pelton, Z Yang, DL Strenge, C Lee, C Sivaraman, MJ Simpson, JK Young, TP Khangaonkar, TR Downing, BL Hoopes, and LE Hachmeister. 2006. Rapid Risk Assessment: FY05 Annual Summary Report. PNNL-15697, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bower JC, RA Burnett, RJ Carter, TR Downing, BJ Homer, NA Holter, DM Johnson, RL Johnson, SM Johnson, RM Loveall, J Ramos Jr., SA Schulze, C Sivaraman, AJ Stephan, LR Stoops, and BM Wood. 2002. Federal Emergency Management Information System (FEMIS) System Administration Guide for FEMIS Version 1.5. PNNL-10610-Ver. 1.5, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Burnett RA, RJ Carter, TR Downing, BJ Homer, NA Holter, DM Johnson, RL Johnson, SM Johnson, RM Loveall, SA Schulze, C Sivaraman, AJ Stephan, LMR Stoops, and BM Wood. 2002. Federal Emergency Management Information System (FEMIS) System Administration Guide Version 1.5.3. PNNL-10610 Ver. 1.5.3, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.