Deputy Division Director
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Baird's research centers on the development and application of novel protein-based affinity reagents for use in diagnostics, biodetection, proteomics, and systems biology research. Her current research extends PNNL's pioneering work in developing a system for selecting antibody derived affinity reagents using yeast display and a naive library of over 1 billion human antibody scFv fragments. Present research interests include the generation of new selection libraries and protein scaffolds, as well as demonstrating the utility of affinity reagents in assays such as ELISAs, protein microarrays, and novel detection platforms.
Dr. Baird's previous pursuits involved developing label-free detection technologies and applications for high throughput molecular interaction screening at SRU Biosystems.
- Protein Engineering and Design
- Protein Interaction Analysis
- Protein Structure-Function Relationships
Education and Credentials
- Postdoc., Center for Biomolecular Interaction Analysis, University of Utah, 2000-2001
- Ph.D., Biochemistry, University of Utah , 2000
- B.S., Biology, The College of New Jersey , 1995
- Seiner DR, HA Colburn, CL Baird, RA Bartholomew, TM Straub, KD Victry, JR Hutchison, NB Valentine, and CJ Bruckner-Lea. 2013. "Evaluation of the FilmArray® system for detection of Bacillus anthracis, Francisella tularensis, and Yersinia pestis." Journal of Applied Microbiology 114(4):992-1000. doi:10.1111/jam.12107
- Straub TM, CL Baird, RA Bartholomew, HA Colburn, DR Seiner, KD Victry, L Zhang, and CJ Bruckner-Lea. 2013. "Estimated Copy Number of Bacillus anthracis Plasmids pXO1 and pXO2 using Digital PCR." Journal of Microbiological Methods 92(1):9-10. doi:10.1016/j.mimet.2012.10.013
- Baird CL, R Tan, CJ Fischer, KD Victry, RC Zangar, and KD Rodland. 2011. "Reducing heterophilic antibody interference in immunoassays using single chain antibodies." Analytical Biochemistry 419(2):333-335. doi:10.1016/j.ab.2011.08.025
- Gray SA, JR Barr, SR Kalb, JD Marks, CL Baird, GA Cangelosi, KD Miller, and MJ Feldhaus. 2011. "Synergistic capture of Clostridium botulinum Type A neurotoxin by scFv antibodies to novel epitopes ." Biotechnology and Bioengineering 108(10):2456-2467. doi:10.1002/bit.23196
- Baird CL, CJ Fischer, NB Pefaur, KD Miller, J Kagen, S Srivastava, and KD Rodland. 2010. "Developing recombinant antibodies for biomarker detection." Cancer Biomarkers 6(5-6):271-279. doi:10.3233/CBM-2009-0144
- Gray S, KM Weigel, KD Miller, J Ndung'u, P Buscher, TN Tran, CL Baird, and GA Cangelosi. 2010. "Flow cytometry-based methods for assessing soluble scFv activities and detecting pathogen antigens in solution." Biotechnology and Bioengineering 105(5):973-981.
- Soares TA, CB Boschek, DO Apiyo, CL Baird, and TP Straatsma. 2010. "Molecular basis of the structural stability of a Top7-based scaffold at extreme pH and temperature conditions." Journal of Molecular Graphics and Modelling 28(8):755-765. doi:10.1016/j.jmgm.2010.01.013
- Boschek CB, DO Apiyo, TA Soares, HE Engelmann, N Pefaur, TP Straatsma, and CL Baird. 2009. "Engineering an ultra-stable affinity reagent based on Top7." Protein Engineering, Design & Selection 22(5):325-332.
- Miller KD, NB Pefaur, and CL Baird. 2009. "Construction and Screening of Antigen Targeted Immune Yeast Surface Display Antibody Libraries." Chapter 4 Unit 4.7 in Current Protocols in Cytometry. Wiley, New York.
- Miller KD, NB Pefaur, and CL Baird. 2008. "Construction and Screening of Antigen Targeted Immune Yeast Surface Display Antibody Libraries." In Current Protocols in Cytometry, Suppl 45, p. Unit 4.7. John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, NJ.
- Seurynck-Servoss SL, CL Baird, KD Miller, NB Pefaur, RM Gonzalez, DO Apiyo, HE Engelmann, S Srinivastava, J Kagan, KD Rodland, and RC Zangar. 2008. "Immobilization strategies for single-chain antibody microarrays." Proteomics 8(11):2199-2210. doi:10.1002/pmic.200701036
- Seurynck-Servoss SL, CL Baird, KD Rodland, and RC Zangar. 2007. "Surface chemistries for antibody microarrays." Frontiers in Bioscience 12:3956-3964. doi:10.2741/2362
- Seurynck-Servoss SL, AM White, CL Baird, KD Rodland, and RC Zangar. 2007. "Evaluation of Surface Chemistries for Antibody Microarrays." Analytical Biochemistry 371(1):105-115.