Earth Systems Analysis & Modeling
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Shaw joined Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) in 1990. His areas of specialty include the structure and energetics of the atmospheric boundary layer, turbulence, and atmospheric measurements. His professional experience includes leading research teams in multi-institutional and international field measurement programs and managing numerous projects for the U.S. Department of Energy, the Department of Homeland Security, and the Department of Defense. Since coming to PNNL, he has led or been significantly involved in studies of effects of surface heterogeneity on boundary layer structure, of mesoscale atmospheric flows induced or modulated by complex terrain, of the simulation of dust emission by wind erosion, and of the capabilities of a variety of atmospheric instruments--including a mass spectrometer and wind profiling radar--for measuring atmospheric turbulence. He has organized workshops in renewable energy for DOE, including serving as a co-organizer of the 2008 DOE Workshop on Research Needs for Wind Resource Characterization. In FY2011 he completed a one-year assignment at DOE headquarters in the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy providing technical and programmatic support to DOE's Wind and Water Power Program. He currently serves on the Executive Management Committee of DOE's Atmosphere to Electrons (A2E) Initiative with responsibility for the atmospheric sciences component of that program. In addition, he has taught graduate-level courses in meteorology and in atmospheric measurements at the Tri-cities branch of Washington State University.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
- B.S., Individualized Curriculum Program (Physics emphasis), Furman University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- Member, American Meteorological Society
- Member, American Geophysical Union
- Palancar GG, B Lefer, SR Hall, WJ Shaw, CA Corr, SC Herndon, JR Slusser, and S Madronich. 2013. "Effect of aerosols and NO2 concentration on ultraviolet actinic flux near Mexico City during MILAGRO: Measurements and model calculations." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(2):1011-1022. doi:10.5194/acp-13-1011-2013
- Fast JD, WI Gustafson, Jr, LK Berg, WJ Shaw, MS Pekour, MKB Shrivastava, JC Barnard, R Ferrare, CA Hostetler, J Hair, MH Erickson, T Jobson, B Flowers, MK Dubey, PhD, SR Springston, BR Pirce, L Dolislager, JR Pederson, and RA Zaveri. 2012. "Transport and Mixing Patterns over Central California during the Carbonaceous Aerosol and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(4):1759-1783. doi:10.5194/acp-12-1759-2012
- Zaveri RA, WJ Shaw, DJ Cziczo, B Schmid, R Ferrare, ML Alexander, M Alexandrov, RJ Alvarez, WP Arnott, D Atkinson, S Baidar, RM Banta, JC Barnard, J Beranek, LK Berg, FJ Brechtel, WA Brewer, JF Cahill, B Cairns, CD Cappa, D Chand, S China, JM Comstock, MK Dubey, RC Easter, Jr, MH Erickson, JD Fast, C Floerchinger, BA Flowers, E Fortner, JS Gaffney, MK Gilles, K Gorkowski, WI Gustafson, Jr, MS Gyawali, J Hair, M Hardesty, JW Harworth, SC Herndon, N Hiranuma, CA Hostetler, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, H Jeong, BT Jobson, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, CD Kluzek, B Knighton, KR Kolesar, C Kuang, A Kubatova, AO Langford, A Laskin, NS Laulainen, RD Marchbanks, C Mazzoleni, F Mei, RC Moffet, DA Nelson, M Obland, H Oetjen, TB Onasch, I Ortega, M Ottaviani, MS Pekour, KA Prather, JG Radney, R Rogers, SP Sandberg, A Sedlacek, C Senff, G Senum, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, C Song, SR Springston, R Subramanian, K Suski, JM Tomlinson, RM Volkamer, HA Wallace, J Wang, AM Weickmann, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, A Zelenyuk, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Overview of the 2010 Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7647-7687. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7647-2012
- Shaw WJ, JK Lundquist, and S Schreck. 2009. "Research Needs for Wind Resource Characterization." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 90(4):535-538.
- Wang W, and WJ Shaw. 2009. "Evaluating Wind Fields from a Diagnostic Model Over Complex Terrain in the Phoenix Region and Implications to Dispersion Calculations for Regional Emergency Response." Meteorological Applications 16(4):557-567. doi:10.1002/met.157
- Chapman EG, JC Barnard, FC Rutz, MS Pekour, JP Rishel, and WJ Shaw. 2009. Dust Plume Modeling from Ranges and Maneuver Areas on Fort Bliss and the White Sands Missile Range: Final Report. PNNL-18387, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wang W, WJ Shaw, TE Seiple, JP Rishel, and YL Xie. 2008. "An Evaluation of a Diagnostic Wind Model (CALMET)." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 47(6):1739-1756.
- de Foy B, JD Fast, SJ Paech, D Phillips, JT Walters, RL Coulter, TJ Martin, MS Pekour, WJ Shaw, PP Kastendeuch, NA Marley, A Retama, and LT Molina. 2008. "Basin-Scale Wind Transport during the MILAGRO Field Campaign and Comparison to Climatology Using Cluster Analysis." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 8(5):1209-1224.
- Shaw WJ, KJ Allwine, BG Fritz, FC Rutz, JP Rishel, and EG Chapman. 2008. "An Evaluation of the Wind Erosion Module in DUSTRAN." Atmospheric Environment 42(8):1907-1921. doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2007.11.022
- Allwine KJ, FC Rutz, WJ Shaw, JP Rishel, BG Fritz, EG Chapman, BL Hoopes, and TE Seiple. 2007. Final Technical Report: Development of the DUSTRAN GIS-Based Complex Terrain Model for Atmospheric Dust Dispersion. PNNL-16588, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Doran JC, JC Barnard, WP Arnott, R Cary, RL Coulter, JD Fast, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, NS Laulainen, TJ Martin, GL Paredes-Miranda, MS Pekour, WJ Shaw, DF Smith, SR Springston, and XY Yu. 2007. "The T1-T2 Study: Evolution of Aerosol Properties Downwind of Mexico City." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 7(6):1585-1598.
- Shaw WJ, MS Pekour, RL Coulter, TJ Martin, and J Walters. 2007. "The Daytime Mixed Layer Observed by Radiosonde, Profiler, and LIDAR during MILAGRO." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 7:15025-15065.
- Shaw WJ, W Wang, FC Rutz, EG Chapman, JP Rishel, YL Xie, TE Seiple, and KJ Allwine. 2007. Meteorological Integration for the Biological Warning and Incident Characterization (BWIC) System: General Guidance for BWIC Cities . PNNL-16422, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Xie YL, WJ Shaw, W Wang, TE Seiple, JP Rishel, FC Rutz, EG Chapman, and KJ Allwine. 2007. "A Genetic Algorithm Used to Optimize the Siting of Meterological Monitoring Stations." In Proceedings of the International Conference on Genetic and Evolutionary Methods (GEM'07), ed. HR Arabnia, JY Yang, and MQ Yang, pp. 81-87. CSREA Press, Athens, GA.
- Allwine KJ, FC Rutz, WJ Shaw, JP Rishel, BG Fritz, EG Chapman, BL Hoopes, and TE Seiple. 2006. DUSTRAN 1.0 User's Guide: A GIS-Based Atmospheric Dust Dispersion Modeling System . PNNL-16055, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Berkowitz CM, JC Doran, WJ Shaw, SR Springston, and CW Spicer, Jr. 2006. "Trace-Gas Mixing in Isolated Urban Boundary Layers: Results from the 2001 Phoenix Sunrise Experiment." Atmospheric Environment 40(1):50-57.
- Doran JC, JC Barnard, and WJ Shaw. 2006. "Modification of Summertime Arctic Cloud Characteristics Between a Coastal and Inland Site." Journal of Climate 19(13):3207-3219.
- Shaw WJ, JC Doran, and RL Coulter. 2005. "Boundary-Layer Evolution over Phoenix, Arizona, and the Premature Mixing of Pollutants in the Early Morning." Atmospheric Environment 39(4):773-786.
- Hoitink DJ, KW Burk, JV Ramsdell, Jr, and WJ Shaw. 2005. Hanford Site Climatological Summary 2004 with Historical Data. PNNL-15160, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Banta RM, LS Darby, JD Fast, JO Pinto, CD Whiteman, WJ Shaw, and BW Orr. 2004. "Nocturnal Low-Level Jet in a Mountain Basin Complex. I. Evolution and Effects on Local Flows." Journal of Applied Meteorology 43(10):1348-1365.
- Berg LK, SF De Wekker, WJ Shaw, RL Coulter, and KJ Allwine. 2004. "Observations of Boundary-Layer Winds in an Urban Environment." In Fifth Symposium on the Urban Environment, p. Paper no. 3.18. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- De Wekker S, LK Berg, KJ Allwine, JC Doran, and WJ Shaw. 2004. "Boundary-Layer Structure Upwind and Downwind of Oklahoma City during the Joint Urban 2003 Field Study." In Fifth Symposium on the Urban Environment, p. Paper no. 3.20. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Doran JC, and WJ Shaw. 2004. "Cloud-Surface Interaction on the North Slope of Alaska." In 16th Symposium on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, August 9-13, 2004, Portland, Maine. American Meteorological Society , Boston, MA.
- Hoitink DJ, KW Burk, JV Ramsdell, Jr, and WJ Shaw. 2004. Hanford Site Climatological Data Summary 2003 with Historical Data . PNNL-14616, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Doran JC, CM Berkowitz, RL Coulter, WJ Shaw, and CW Spicer, Jr. 2003. "The 2001 Phoenix Sunrise Experiment: Vertical Mixing and Chemistry During the Morning Transition in Phoenix." Atmospheric Environment 37(17):2365-2378.
- Hoitink DJ, KW Burk, JV Ramsdell, Jr, and WJ Shaw. 2003. Hanford Site Climatological Data Summary 2002 with Historical Data. PNNL-14242, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Barnard JC, and WJ Shaw. 2002. "Direct Numerical Simulation of Evolving Turbulence Using Surface Heat Fluxes derived from VTMX Measurements." In 10th Conference on Mountain Meteorology, pp. 122-125. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Chapman EG, WJ Shaw, RC Easter, Jr, X Bian, and SJ Ghan. 2002. "The Influence of Wind Speed Averaging on Estimates of Dimethylsulfide Emission Fluxes." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 107(D23: art. no.4672):, doi:10.1029/2001JD001564
- Fast JD, and WJ Shaw. 2002. "Observed and Simulated Turbulence Kinetic Energy and Dissipation Profiles in an Urban Valley During VTMX 2000." In 15th Symposium on Boundary Layers and Turbulence, pp. 638-641. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Shaw WJ, and JC Doran. 2001. "Observations of Systematic Boundary Layer Divergence Patterns and their Relationship to Land Use and Topography." Journal of Climate 14(8):1753-1764.
- Shaw WJ, JM Hubbe, AJ Drake, and JC Doran. 2001. "Observations of Surface Heat Fluxes During the Spring Melt on the North Slope of Alaska." In Sixth Conference on Polar Meteorology and Oceanography, 14-18 May 2001, San Diego, California, ed. Jennifer A Francis, pp. 200-203. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Whiteman CD, S Zhong, WJ Shaw, JM Hubbe, X Bian, and J Mittelstadt. 2001. "Cold Pools in the Columbia Basin." Weather and Forecasting 16(8):432-447.
- Zhong S, CD Whiteman, X Bian, WJ Shaw, and JM Hubbe. 2001. "Meteorological Processes Affecting the Evolution of a Wintertime Cold Air Pool in the Columbia Basin." Monthly Weather Review 129(10):2600-2613.
- Fast JD, JC Doran, WJ Shaw, RL Coulter, and TJ Martin. 2000. "The Evolution of the Boundary Layer and Its Effect on Air Chemistry in the Phoenix Area." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 105(D18):22,833-22,848.
- Whiteman CD, JM Hubbe, and WJ Shaw. 2000. "Evaluation of an Inexpensive Temperature Data Logger for Meteorological Applications." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 17(1):77-81.
- Edgerton SA, X Bian, JC Doran, JD Fast, JM Hubbe, EL Malone, WJ Shaw, CD Whiteman, S Zhong, JL Arriaga, E Ortiz, M Ruiz, G Sosa, E Vega, T Limon, F Guzman, J Archuleta, JE Bossert, S Elliott, JT Lee, LA McNair, JC Chow, JG Watson, RL Coulter, PV Doskey, JS Gaffney, NA Marley, W Neff, and R Petty. 1999. "Particulate Air Pollution in Mexico City: A Collaborative Research Project." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 49:1221-1229.
- Doran JC, X Bian, SA Edgerton, JD Fast, JM Hubbe, WJ Shaw, and CD Whiteman. 1998. "The IMADA-AVER Boundary-Layer Experiment in the Mexico City Area." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 79(11):2497-2508.