Atmospheric Sciences & Global Change Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. James H. Mather is the Technical Director for the DOE Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Climate Research Facility. Dr. Mather has a PhD in meteorology from the Pennsylvania State University (1994) and began his affiliation with the ARM Program in 1994 as a post-doctoral research associate at Penn State where he was responsible for the scientific management of ARM cloud and radiation measurement stations in the tropical Pacific as a member of the tropical western Pacific site science team. Dr. Mather continued in that role at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory in 2001 after a two year hiatus teaching physics and meteorology at Northland College in Ashland, Wisconsin. As part of his responsibilities on the Tropical Western Pacific site science team, Dr. Mather conducted research with ARM data with an emphasis on the analysis of cloud remote sensing and atmospheric radiation measurements. He also participated in several field campaigns including CRYSTAL-FACE (2002), M-PACE (2004), and TWP-ICE (2006). Dr. Mather was a co-investigator for TWP-ICE (the Tropical Warm Pool â€" International Cloud Experiment), a major field campaign including five aircraft, a ship, and multiple ground stations in the vicinity of Darwin, Australia. In 2007, Dr. Mather took on the role of interim director of the newly formed ARM Aerial Vehicles Program, serving in that position for six months before taking on the position of ARM Technical Director. As Technical Director for ARM, Dr. Mather is responsible for the ARM integrated budget, engineering processes and program communications and chairs the Infrastructure Management Board, the primary management structure for the ARM Facility.
- Long CN, SA McFarlane, AD Del Genio, P Minnis, TP Ackerman, JH Mather, JM Comstock, GG Mace, M Jensen, and C Jakob. 2013. "ARM Research in the Equatorial Western Pacific: A Decade and Counting." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 94(5):695-708. doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00137.1
- Mather JH, and JW Voyles. 2013. "The ARM Climate Research Facility: A Review of Structure and Capabilities." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 94(3):377-392. doi:10.1175/BAMS-D-11-00218.1
- Wang Y, CN Long, JH Mather, and X Liu. 2011. "Convective Signals from Surface Measurements at ARM Tropical Western Pacific Site: Manus." Climate Dynamics 36(3-4):431-449. doi:10.1007/s00382-009-0736-z
- Wang Y, CN Long, JH Mather, and X Liu. 2011. "Convective signals from surface measurements at ARM Tropical Western Pacific site: Manus." Climate Dynamics 36(3-4):431-449. doi:10.1007/s00382-009-0736-z
- Xie S, R McCoy, SA Klein, RT Cederwall, WJ Wiscombe, EE Clothiaux, KL Gaustad, JC Golaz, S Hall, M Jensen, KL Johnson, Y Lin, CN Long, JH Mather, RA McCord, SA McFarlane, G Palanisamy, Y Shi, and DD Turner. 2010. "ARM Climate Modeling Best Estimate Data - A new data product for climate modelers ." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 91(1):13-20. doi:10.1175/2009BAMS2891.1
- Mather JH, and SA McFarlane. 2009. "Cloud Classes and Radiative Heating profiles at the Manus and Nauru Atmospheric Radiation Measurement (ARM) Sites ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 114:Art. No. D19204. doi:10.1029/2009JD011703
- Wang Y, CN Long, LYR Leung, J Dudhia, SA McFarlane, JH Mather, SJ Ghan, and X Liu. 2009. "Evaluating regional cloud-permitting simulations of the WRF model for the Tropical Warm Pool International Cloud Experiment (TWP-ICE, Darwin 2006)." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 114(D21203):, doi:10.1029/2009JD012729
- McFarlane SA, JH Mather, TP Ackerman, and Z Liu. 2008. "Effect of Clouds on the Calculated Vertical Distribution of Shortwave Absorption in the Tropics." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 113:D18203. doi:10.1029/2008JD009791
- May PT, JH Mather, G Vaughan, C Jakob, G McFarquhar, K Bower, and GG Mace. 2008. "The Tropical Warm Pool International Cloud Experiment (TWPICE) ." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 89(5):629-645.
- May PT, JH Mather, G Vaughan, C Jakob, G McFarquhar, K Bower, and GG Mace. 2008. "The Tropical Warm Pool International Cloud Experiment." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 89(5):629-645.
- Mather JH, SA McFarlane, M Miller, and KL Johnson. 2007. "Cloud Properties and Associated Radiative Heating Rates in the Tropical Western Pacific ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 112:D05201. doi:doi:10.1029/2006JD007555
- Mather JH, SA McFarlane, MA Miller, and KL Johnson. 2007. "Cloud properties and associated radiative heating rates in the tropical western Pacific." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 112 (Article number: D05201):,
- McFarlane SA, JH Mather, and TP Ackerman. 2007. "Analysis of tropical radiative heating profiles: A comparison of models and observations ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 112:D14218.
- Verlinde J, JY Harrington, G McFarquhar, VT Yannuzzi, A Avramov, S Greenburg, N Johnson, G Zhang, M Poellot, JH Mather, DD Turner, EW Eloranta, BD Zak, AJ Prenni, JS Daniel, GL Kok, DC Tobin, RE Holz, K Sassen, D Spangenberg, P Minnis, TP Tooman, MD Ivey, SJ Richardson, CP Bahrmann, MD Shupe, PJ DeMott, AJ Heymsfield, and R Schofield. 2007. "The Mixed-Phase Arctic Cloud Experiment." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 88(2):205-221.
- McFarlane SA, JH Mather, and TP Ackerman. 2006. "Analysis of Tropical Radiative Heating Profiles in the Multi-Scale Modeling Framework: A Comparison to Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Program Observations." In Sixteenth ARM Science Team Meeting Proceedings, March 27-31, 2006 Albuquerque, New Mexico. US Department of Energy, Washington, DC.
- Mather JH. 2005. "Seasonal Variability in Clouds and Radiation at the Manus ARM Site." Journal of Climate 18(13):2417-2428.
- Halthore RN, D Crisp, SE Schwartz, G Anderson, A Berk, B Bonnel, O Boucher, FL Chang, MD Chou, EE Clothiaux, P Dubuisson, B Fomin, Y Fouquart, S Freidenreich, C Gautier, S Kato, I Laszlo, Z Li, JH Mather, A Plana-Fattori, V Ramaswamy, P Ricchiazzi, Y Shiren, A Trishchenko, and WJ Wiscombe. 2005. "Intercomparison of Shortwave Radiative Transfer Codes and Measurements." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 110(D11):D11206, doi: 10.1029/2004JD00593.
- May PT, JH Mather, and C Jakob. 2005. "Experiment to Characterize Tropical Cloud Systems." Eos 86(31):285. doi:10.1029/2005EO310002
- McFarlane SA, JH Mather, and TP Ackerman. 2005. "Radiative Heating Profiles in the Convective Tropics: A Comparison of Observations and Models." In 85th AMS Annual Meeting, January 9-13, 2005, San Diego, California. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.
- Mather JH. 2004. "Influences of Dynamics on Convection at the Tropical Pacific ARM Sites." In Proceedings of the 26th American Meteorological Society Conference on Hurricanes and Tropical Meteorology, p. Paper No. 5B.5. American Meteorological Society, Boston, MA.