Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Wenxiao Pan is a scientist in the Computational Science and Mathematics Division at the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.
Dr. Pan's research interest covers diverse topics in computational mathematics both on algorithms and applications. The major focus addresses fields in multiscale/multiphase/multiphysics modeling, the corresponding numerical methods, and parallel large-scale simulations of complex systems. Specific areas include reduced order modeling, stochastic multiscale modeling, coarse-grained molecular simulations, and their applications in biophysics, geophysics, chemical engineering and materials.
- Lagrangian particle methods
- Coarse-grained molecular simulations
- Stochastic multiscale modeling
- Reduced order modeling
- High-performance computing
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Applied Mathematics, Brown University
- B.S., Mechanics and Engineering Science, Peking University
- Fedosov DA, I Pivkin, W Pan, M Dao, B Caswell, and GE Karniadakis. 2012. "Multiscale Modeling of Hematologic Disorders." Chapter 10 in Modeling of Physiological Flows, vol. 5, ed. D Ambrosi, A Quarteroni and G Rozza, pp. 289-332. Springer, New York, NY.
- Pan W, DA Fedosov, B Caswell, and GE Karniadakis. 2011. "Predicting dynamics and rheology of blood flow: A comparative study of multiscale and low-dimensional models of red blood cells." Microvascular Research 82(2):163-170.
- Arienti M, W Pan, X Li, and GE Karniadakis. 2011. "Many-body dissipative particle dynamics simulation of liquid/vapor and liquid/solid interactions." Journal of Chemical Physics 134(20):Article No. 204114. doi:10.1063/1.3590376
- Fedosov DA, W Pan, B Caswell, G Gompper, and GE Karniadakis. 2011. "Predicting human blood viscosity in silico." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 108(29):11772-11777. doi:10.1073/pnas.1101210108
- Pan WX, B Caswell and GE Karniadakis. 2010. "Rheology, Microstructure and Migration in Brownian Colloidal Suspensions." Langmuir 26(1):133-142.
- Pan WX, B Caswell, and GE Karniadakis. 2010. "A Low-Dimensional Model for the Red Blood Cell." Soft Matter 6:4366-4376.
- Pan WX, DA Fedosov, B Caswell, and GE Karniadakis. 2008. "Hydrodynamic Interactions for Single DPD Particles, and their Clusters and Filaments." Physical Review E 78: 046706.
- Pan WX, IV Pivkin, and GE Karniadakis. 2008. "Single-Particle Hydrodynamics in DPD: A New Formulation." Europhysics Letters 84:10012.
- Tan SCW, WX Pan, G Ma, N Cai, KW Leong, and K Liao. 2008. "Viscoelastic Behaviour of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells." BMC Cell Biology 9:40. doi:10.1186/1471-2121-9-40
- Pan WX, E Petersen, N Cai, G Ma, LJ Run, Z Feng, ZK Liao, and KW Leong. 2005. "Viscoelastic Properties of Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells." Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Proceedings 7 S:4854-4857.
- Zhang WG, CY Wu, WX Pan, L Tian, and JL Xia. 2004. "Low-Power Helium-Neon Laser Irradiation Enhances Expression of Myocardial VEGF of the Rat." Chinese Medical Journal 117(10):1476-1480.
- Pan WX and WC Tan. 2003. "An Unsteady Flow of a Viscoelastic Fluid with the Fractional Maxwell Model Between Two Parallel Plates." Mechanics in Engineering 25(1):19-22.
- Tan WC, WX Pan, and MY Xu. 2003. "A Note on Unsteady Flows of a Viscoelastic Fluid with the Fractional Maxwell Model Between Two Parallel Plates." International Journal of Non-linear Mechanics 38:645-650.