Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Throughout more than 30 years at PNNL, Dave Engel has been involved with many aspects of projects, all related to mathematics and statistics. Much of his research and project work has been in the area of uncertainty quantification with special emphasis in the development of diverse project teams to solve problems involving applied mathematics and computational statistics.
- Uncertainty Quantification, Sensitivity, and Risk Analysis - in many application areas: waste management (storage and deposition), groundwater modeling, carbon capture, and cyber security; adaptive sampling techniques - response surface modeling; Probabilistic risk analysis - technical risk, financial risk, and technical readiness level
- Social data analytics (development and analysis) - text analysis (data mining), including anomaly detection and trend analysis; social media analytics, including group identification and characterization
Education and Credentials
- MBA Business Administration, University Washington 1991
- BS Mathematics, Central Washington University 1982
Awards and Recognitions
- Annual Conference on Carbon Capture Utilization & Sequestration, Top Presentation 2013
- IADIS International Conference Web Based Communities and Social Media, Top Paper 2011
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Royalty Award, 1988, 1998, 2013
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Outstanding Performance Recognition Award, 2001, 2002, 2005
- Engel DW, AC Dalton, C Dale, J Thompson, R Leclaire, B Edward, and E Jones. 2014. "Development of a Risk-Based Comparison Methodology of Carbon Capture Technologies." Greenhouse Gases: science and technology 4(3):316-330. doi:10.1002/ghg.1422
- Engel DW, and AC Dalton. 2014. TRL Computer System User's Guide. PNNL-23149, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Fang Z, Z Hou, G Lin, DW Engel, Y Fang, and PW Eslinger. 2014. "Exploring the effects of data quality, data worth, and redundancy of CO2 gas pressure and saturation data on reservoir characterization through PEST Inversion." Environmental Earth Sciences 71(7):3025-3037. doi:10.1007/s12665-013-2680-9
- Hou Z, DH Bacon, DW Engel, G Lin, Y Fang, H Ren, and Z Fang. 2014. "Uncertainty analyses of CO2 plume expansion subsequent to wellbore CO2 leakage into aquifers." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 27:69-80. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2014.05.004
- Miller D, M Syamlal, D Mebane, C Storlie, D Bhattacharyya, NV Sahinidis, DA Agarwal, C Tong, SE Zitney, A Sarkar, X Sun, S Sundaresan, EM Ryan, DW Engel, and C Dale. 2014. "Carbon Capture Simulation Initiative: A Case Study in Multi-Scale Modeling and New Challenges." Annual Review of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering 5:301-323. doi:10.1146/annurev-chembioeng-060713-040321
- Engel DW, AC Dalton, C Dale, and E Jones. 2013. "Risk-Based Comparison of Carbon Capture Technologies." In 12th Annual Conference on Carbon Capture Utilization & Sequestration, May 13-16, 2013, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Carbon Capture Simulation Initiative (CCSI), Washington DC.
- Engel DW, AC Dalton, C Dale, E Jones, and J Thompson. 2013. Risk Analysis and Decision Making FY 2013 Milestone Report. PNNL-22563, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Engel DW, AC Dalton, C Sivaramakrishnan, and C Lansing. 2013. CCSI Technology Readiness Levels Likelihood Model (TRL-LM) User's Guide. PNNL-22374, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Hou Z, DW Engel, G Lin, Y Fang, and Z Fang. 2013. "An Uncertainty Quantification Framework for Studying the Effect of Spatial Heterogeneity in Reservoir Permeability on CO2 Sequestration." Mathematical Geosciences 45(7):799-817. doi:10.1007/s11004-013-9459-0
- Engel DW, B Letellier, B Edwards, R Leclaire, and E Jones. 2012. "New Technical Risk Management Development for Carbon Capture Process." In Proceedings of the 11th Annual Conference on Carbon Capture Utilization and Sequestration, April 30-May 3, 2012, Pittsburgh, PA. CCSI, Pittsburgh, PA.
- Engel DW. 2012. Initial Risk Analysis and Decision Making Framework . PNNL-20932, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Engel DW. 2012. Initial Decision and Risk Analysis. PNNL-21182, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Lin G, DW Engel, and PW Eslinger. 2012. Survey and Evaluate Uncertainty Quantification Methodologies. PNNL-20914, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bell EB, EJ Marshall, RE Hull, AK Fligg, AP Sanfilippo, DS Daly, and DW Engel. 2012. "Classifying Scientific Performance on a Metric-by-Metric Basis." In Proceedings of the Twenty-Fifth International Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society (FLAIRS) Conference, May 23-25, 2012, Marco Island, Florida, ed. GM Youndblood and PM McCarthy, pp. 400-403. AAAI Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Engel DW, AC Dalton, KK Anderson, C Sivaramakrishnan, and C Lansing. 2012. Development of Technology Readiness Level (TRL) Metrics and Risk Measures. PNNL-21737, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Engel DW, and AC Dalton. 2012. CCSI Risk Estimation: An Application of Expert Elicitation. PNNL-21785, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Engel DW, ML Gregory, EB Bell, and LR McGrath. 2012. "IDENTIFYING ON-LINE GROUPS BASED ON CONTENT AND COLLECTIVE BEHAVIORAL PATTERNS." In IADIS International Conference Web Based Communities and Social Media, July 22-24, 2011, Rome, Italy. IADIS Press, n.p..
- Gregory ML, DW Engel, EB Bell, and LR Mcgrath. 2012. "Identifying Differences in Cultural Behavior in Online Groups." Chapter 28 in Advances in Design for Cross-Cultural Activities Part II, ed. DD Schmorrow, pp. 283-292. CRC Press, Boca Raton, FL.
- Gregory ML, DW Engel, EB Bell, AW Piatt, ST Dowson, and AJ Cowell. 2011. "Automatically Identifying Groups Based on Content and Collective Behavioral Patterns of Group Members." In Proceedings of the Fifth International Conference on Weblogs and Social Media, July 17-21, 2011, Barcelona, Spain, pp. 498-501. AAAI Press, Palo Alto, CA.
- Miller D, M Syamlal, J Meza, DL Brown, MM Fox, MA Khaleel, RK Cottrell, JD Kress, X Sun, S Sundaresan, NV Sahinidis, SE Zitney, DA Agarwal, C Tong, G Lin, B Letellier, DW Engel, P Calafiura, GA Richards, and JH Shinn. 2011. "Overview of the U.S. DOE's Carbon Capture Simulation Initiative for Accelerating the Commercialization of CCS Technology." In Proceedings of the 36th International Technical Conference on Clean Coal & Fuel Systems, June 5 - 9, 2011, Clearwater, FL, pp. Paper No. LLNL-CONF-482753. US Department of Energy, Washington DC, DC.
- Rose SJ, DW Engel, NO Cramer, and WE Cowley. 2010. "Automatic Keyword Extraction from Individual Documents." Chapter 1 in Text Mining: Application and Theory, vol. 1, ed. MWBerry, J Kogan, pp. 3-20. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester, United Kingdom.
- Rose SJ, FJ Brockman, ML Hart, DW Engel, NB Valentine, and AJ Calapristi. 2010. Morphing Terminology Study. PNNL-19493, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Engel DW, PD Whitney, and NO Cramer. 2010. "Events and Trends in Text Streams." Chapter 9 in Text Mining: Applications and Theory, ed. MW Berry and J Kogan, p. 165-182. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, United Kingdom.
- Engel DW, PD Whitney, AJ Calapristi, and FJ Brockman. 2009. "Mining for Emerging Technologies within Text Streams and Documents." In Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics - 9th SIAM International Conference on Data Mining 2009: Proceedings in Applied Mathematics, vol. 3, pp. 1291-1301. SIAM, Philadelphia, PA.
- Schneider KP, Y Chen, DW Engel, and DP Chassin. 2009. "A Taxonomy of North American Radial Distribution Feeders." In IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting (PES '09), July 26-30, 2009, Calgary, Alberta, Canada. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PES.2009.5275900
- Whitney PD, DW Engel, and NO Cramer. 2009. "Mining for Surprise Events within Text Streams." In Proceedings of the SIAM International Conference on Data Mining (SDM 2009), vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 617-627. Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia, PA.
- Schneider KP, Y Chen, DP Chassin, RG Pratt, DW Engel, and SE Thompson. 2008. Modern Grid Initiative Distribution Taxonomy Final Report. PNNL-18035, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Eslinger PW, DW Engel, LH Gerhardstein, CA Lopresti, TB Miley, WE Nichols, DL Strenge, and SK Wurstner. 2006. Updated User Instructions for the Systems Assessment Capability, Rev. 1, Computer Codes Volume 1: Inventory, Release, and Transport Modules. PNNL-16115 Volume 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Riley RG, CA Lopresti, and DW Engel. 2006. Release Data Package for Hanford Site Assessments . PNNL-15965, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Scott MJ, CA Brandt, AL Bunn, DW Engel, PW Eslinger, TB Miley, BA Napier, EL Prendergast-Kennedy, and LA Nieves. 2005. "Modeling long-term risk to environmental and human systems at the Hanford Nuclear Reservation: Scope and findings from the initial model ." Environmental Management 35(1):84-98.
- Engel DW, AM Liebetrau, KD Jarman, TA Ferryman, TD Scheibe, and BT Didier. 2004. "An Iterative Uncertainty Assessment Technique for Environmental Modeling." In The joint proceedings of the sixth International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences and the fifteenth annual conference of TIES, the International Environmetrics Society Portland, Maine, USA, June 28-July 1, 2004, ed. H. Todd Mowrer, Ronald E. McRoberts, and Paul C. VanDeusen, p. 8 pages. USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC.
- Eslinger PW, TB Miley, DW Engel, WE Nichols, LH Gerhardstein, DL Strenge, CA Lopresti, and SK Wurstner. 2004. User Instructions for the Systems Assessment Capability, Rev. 1, Computer Codes Volume 1: Inventory, Release, and Transport Modules . PNNL-14852 Volume 1, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Eslinger PW, DW Engel, LH Gerhardstein, CA Lopresti, WE Nichols, and DL Strenge. 2002. User Instructions for the Systems Assessment Capability, Rev. 0, Computer Codes Volume 1: Inventory, Release, and Transport Modules. PNNL-13932, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Kincaid CT, PW Eslinger, DW Engel, WE Nichols, RW Bryce, and AL Bunn. 2002. "A Stochastic Assessment of Nuclear Waste Management Practices at the Hanford Site, Washington." In Scientific basis for nuclear waste management XXV : symposium held November 26-29, 2001, Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A. / Materials Research Society Symposium Proceedings., vol. 713, ed. BP McGrail, G.A. Cragnolino, pp. 275-283. Materials Research Society, Warrendale, PA.
- Scott MJ, RD Sands, JA Edmonds, AM Liebetrau, and DW Engel. 2000. "Uncertainty in Integrated Assessment Models: Modeling with MiniCAM 1.0." Energy Policy 27(14):855-879.