Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Jarman's research focuses on mathematical and statistical techniques for modeling and simulating radiation detection scenarios and for the analysis of observed and simulated responses from detection systems. The goal of this research is to quantify and improve the performance of detection systems for targeting illicit radiation sources in the midst of a wide variety of confounding benign radiation sources. Dr. Jarman has contributed to decision and evaluation algorithms development for numerous radiation detection projects in recent years, including a preliminary viability study for instrumented containers, the design of a novel low-power passive gamma-ray spectrometer, and an effort focused on the detection of special nuclear materials in search and passageway monitoring scenarios using low-count gamma-ray spectra from mid-resolution detectors.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. Applied Mathematics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 2000.
- M.S. Applied Mathematics, University of Colorado at Boulder, 1997.
- B.A. Mathematics, Northwestern University, 1992.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- The Mathematical Association of America
Awards and Recognitions
- Laboratory Graduate Fellowship, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, 1999â€“2000
- National Science Foundation Graduate Traineeship 1996â€“1999
- University of Colorado Graduate Fellowship, 1996â€“1997, 1999
- Phi Beta Kappa, 1992
- Oliver Marcy Scholar, 1992
- Wang P, DM Tartakovsky, KD Jarman, and AM Tartakovsky. 2013. "CDF Solutions of Buckley-Leverett Equation with Uncertain Parameters." Multiscale Modeling & Simulation 11(1):118-133. doi:10.1137/120865574
- Jarman KD, BS McDonald, SM Robinson, AJ Gilbert, TA White, WK Pitts, AC Misner, and A Seifert. 2012. Low-Intrusion Techniques and Sensitive Information Management for Warhead Counting and Verification: FY2012 Annual Report. PNNL-21972, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- McDermott JE, KD Jarman, RC Taylor, MJ Lancaster, H Shankaran, KB Vartanian, SL Stevens, M Stenzel-Poore, and AP Sanfilippo. 2012. "Modeling Dynamic Regulatory Processes in Stroke." PLoS Computational Biology 8(10):e1002722. doi:10.1371/journal.pcbi.1002722
- Robinson SM, KD Jarman, WK Pitts, A Seifert, AC Misner, ML Woodring, and MJ Myjak. 2012. "Imaging for dismantlement verification: information management and analysis algorithms." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section A, Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 662(1):81-89. doi:10.1016/j.nima.2011.09.036
- Jarman KD, and AM Tartakovsky. 2011. "Divergence of Solutions to Perturbation-Based Advection-Dispersion Moment Equations." Advances in Water Resources 34(5):659-670. doi:10.1016/j.advwatres.2011.03.002
- Jarman KD, and PD Whitney. 2011. "Integrating Correlated Bayesian Networks Using Maximum Entropy." Applied Mathematical Sciences 5(48):2361-2371.
- Jarman KD, C Scherrer, EL Smith, L Chilton, KK Anderson, JJ Ressler, and LL Trease. 2011. "Indirect Estimation of Radioactivity in Containerized Cargo." Radiation Measurements 46(1):10-20. doi:10.1016/j.radmeas.2010.09.001
- Jarman KD, EA Miller, RS Wittman, and CJ Gesh. 2011. "Bayesian Radiation Source Localization." Nuclear Technology 175(1):126-334.
- Jarman KD, SM Robinson, BS McDonald, AJ Gilbert, AC Misner, WK Pitts, TA White, A Seifert, and EA Miller. 2011. Low-Intrusion Techniques and Sensitive Information Management for Warhead Counting and Verification: FY2011 Annual Report. PNNL-20840, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Seifert A, BS McDonald, KD Jarman, SM Robinson, AC Misner, EA Miller, TA White, and WK Pitts. 2011. "IMAGE-BASED VERIFICATION: SOME ADVANTAGES, CHALLENGES, AND ALGORITHM-DRIVEN REQUIREMENTS." In Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, July 12-21, 2011, Palm Desert, California, vol. 2, pp. 1467-1476. INMM, Deerfield, IL.
- White TA, SM Robinson, KD Jarman, EA Miller, A Seifert, BS McDonald, WK Pitts, and AC Misner. 2011. "Non-Invertible Transforms for Image-Based Verification." In Proceedings of the 52nd Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, July 17-21, 2011, Palm Desert, California. Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, Deerfield, IL.
- Jarman KD, AJ Brothers, PD Whitney, J Young, and DA Niesen. 2010. "Integrating System Dynamics and Bayesian Networks with Application to Counter-IED Scenarios." In 10th International Probabilistic Safety Assessment & Management Conference - PSAM10, June 7-11, 2010, Seattle, WA. International Association for Probabalistic Safety Assessment & Management (IAPSAM), Mannheim, Germany.
- Jarman KD, RS Wittman, EA Miller, and CJ Gesh. 2010. "Bayesian Radiation Source Localization." In American Nuclear Society 2010 Radiation Protection & Shielding, Isotopes & Radiation and Biology & Medicine Divisions Joint Topical Meeting, April 19-23, 2010, Las Vegas, NV. American Nuclear Society, La Grange Park, IL.
- Pfund DM, KD Jarman, BD Milbrath, SD Kiff, and DE Sidor. 2010. "Low Count Anomaly Detection at Large Standoff Distances." IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science 57(1, PT 2):309-316.
- Pitts WK, KD Jarman, EA Miller, BS McDonald, AC Misner, MJ Myjak, SM Robinson, A Seifert, CE Seifert, and ML Woodring. 2010. "Advantages of Dual Mode Imaging for Managing Sensitive Imaging Information ." In Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, July 11-15, 2010, Baltimore, Maryland. INMM, Deerfield, IL.
- Robinson SM, KD Jarman, EA Miller, AC Misner, MJ Myjak, WK Pitts, A Seifert, CE Seifert, and ML Woodring. 2010. "IMAGE ANALYSIS ALGORITHMS FOR DUAL MODE IMAGING SYSTEMS." In Proceedings of the 51st Annual Meeting of the Institute of Nuclear Materials Management, July 11-15, 2010, Baltimore, Maryland. INMM, Deerfield, IL.
- Seifert A, EA Miller, MJ Myjak, SM Robinson, KD Jarman, AC Misner, WK Pitts, and ML Woodring. 2010. Imaging for dismantlement verification: information management and analysis algorithms. PNNL-19824, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Runkle RC, MJ Myjak, SD Kiff, DE Sidor, SJ Morris, JS Rohrer, KD Jarman, DM Pfund, LC Todd, RS Bowler, and CA Mullen. 2009. "LYNX: An unattended sensor system for detection of gamma-ray and neutron emissions from special nuclear materials." Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research. Section A, Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 598(3):815-825.
- Jarman KD, and AM Tartakovsky. 2008. "Divergence of Solutions to Solute Transport Moment Equations." Geophysical Research Letters 35(15):30-34, Art. no.: L15401. doi:10.1029/2008GL034495
- Jarman KD, RC Runkle, KK Anderson, and DM Pfund. 2008. "A Comparison of Simple Algorithms for Gamma-ray Spectrometers in Radioactive Source Search Applications." Applied Radiation and Isotopes 66(3):362-371. doi:10.1016/j.apradiso.2007.09.010
- Anderson KK, KD Jarman, ML Mann, DM Pfund, and RC Runkle. 2008. "Discriminating Nuclear Threats from Benign Sources in Gamma-ray Spectra using a Spectral Comparison Ratio Method." Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry 276(3):713-718.
- Kiff SD, LE Smith, and KD Jarman. 2008. "Modeling Ambient Background in Complex Detection Scenarios." In 2007 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, vol. 1, pp. 765-771. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/NSSMIC.2007.4436441
- Pfund DM, RC Runkle, KK Anderson, and KD Jarman. 2007. "Examination of Count-starved Gamma Spectra Using the Method of Spectral Comparison Ratios ." IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science 54(4 (Pt.3)):1232-1238. doi:10.1109/TNS.2007.901202
- Jarman KD, LE Smith, A Heredia-Langner, AS Renholds, WR Kaye, and SD Miller. 2005. "Optimal Design of Passive Gamma-Ray Spectrometers." In Nuclear Science Symposium Conference Record, 2005 IEEE, vol. 2, pp. 1062-1066. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc. (IEEE), Los Alamitos, CA. doi:10.1109/NSSMIC.2005.1596435
- Cannon WR, KH Jarman, BJM Webb-Robertson, DJ Baxter, CS Oehmen, KD Jarman, A Heredia-Langner, KJ Auberry, and GA Anderson. 2005. "A Comparison of Probability and Likelihood Models for Peptide Identification from Tandem Mass Spectrometry Data." Journal of Proteome Research 4(5):1687-1698.
- Jarman KD, LE Smith, and DK Carlson. 2004. "Sequential Probability Ratio Test for Long-Term Radiation Monitoring ." IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science 51(4 PT 1):1662-1666.
- Jarman KD, LE Smith, DK Carlson, and DN Anderson. 2004. "Sequential Probability Ratio Test for Long-Term Radiation Monitoring." In 2003 IEEE Nuclear Science Symposium, Conference Record, vol. 1-5, ed. Metz.er, S., pp. 1458-1462. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), Piscataway, NJ.
- Engel DW, AM Liebetrau, KD Jarman, TA Ferryman, TD Scheibe, and BT Didier. 2004. "An Iterative Uncertainty Assessment Technique for Environmental Modeling." In The joint proceedings of the sixth International Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental Sciences and the fifteenth annual conference of TIES, the International Environmetrics Society Portland, Maine, USA, June 28-July 1, 2004, ed. H. Todd Mowrer, Ronald E. McRoberts, and Paul C. VanDeusen, p. 8 pages. USDA Forest Service, Washington, DC.
- Heredia-Langner A, WR Cannon, KD Jarman, and KH Jarman. 2004. "De Novo Analysis of Tandem Mass Spectrometry Data as a Non-Deterministic Optimization Problem." In Proceedings of The International Conference on Mathematics and Engineering Techniques in Medicine and Biological Sciences (METMBS'04), ed. Faramarz Valafar & Homayoun Valafar, pp. 113-117. CSREA Press, Las Vegas, NV.
- Heredia-Langner A, WR Cannon, KD Jarman, and KH Jarman. 2004. "Sequence optimization as an alternative to de novo analysis of tandem mass spectrometry data." Bioinformatics 20(14):2296-2304.
- Jarman KD, and TF Russell. 2003. "Eulerian Moment Equations for 2-D Stochastic Immiscible Flow ." Multiscale Modeling & Simulation 1(4):598-608.
- Jarman KD, WR Cannon, KH Jarman, and A Heredia-Langner. 2003. "A model of random sequences for de novo peptide sequencing." In Proceedings of the 3rd IEEE International Symposium on Bioinformatics and Bioengineering, pp. 206-213. IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA.
- Cannon WR, and KD Jarman. 2003. "Improved peptide sequencing using isotope information inherent in tandem mass spectra ." Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry 17(15):1793-1801.
- Jarman KD, and TF Russell. 2002. "Analysis of I-D Moment Equations for Immiscible Flow." In Fluid Flow and Transport in Porous Media: Mathematical and Numerical Treatment (Proceedings of an AMS-IMS-SIAM Joint Summer Research Conference on Fluid Flow and Transport in Porous Media, June 17-21, 2001), ed. Zhangxin Chen, Richard E. Ewing, p. 293. American Mathematical Society, Providence, RI.
- Wahl KL, SC Wunschel, CE Petersen, KD Jarman, NB Valentine, and KH Jarman. 2002. "Smart Data Collection and Interpretation for Bacterial Identification by MALDI-MS." In Proceedings of the 50th ASMS Conference on Mass Spectrometry and Allied Topics, pp. 31-32. American Society for Mass Spectrometry, Santa Fe, NM.