Biological Sciences Staff information
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Bailey's research focuses on the microbial ecology of soils and other terrestrial ecosystems. Related to this are efforts to understand the carbon cycling processes of microbial communities. Her research is conducted both in the field, where landscape processes are observed and soils sampled, as well as in the lab where studies occur in controlled microcosms. Traditional, microbial, and molecular biological tools are all used in this research.
- Microbial community composition and functional potential
- Soil microbiology
- Carbon cycling
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., University of Alberta, 1999
- B.S.A., University of Manitoba, 1994
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- American Society of Microbiology
- Soil Science Society of America
- Resat H, VL Bailey, LA McCue, and A Konopka. 2012. "Modeling microbial dynamics in heterogeneous environments: Growth on soil carbon sources." Microbial Ecology 63(4):883-897. doi:10.1007/s00248-011-9965-x
- Webb-Robertson BJM, VL Bailey, SJ Fansler, MJ Wilkins, and NJ Hess. 2012. "Spectral Signatures for the Classification of Microbial Species using Raman Spectra." Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry 404(2):563-572. doi:10.1007/s00216-012-6152-y
- Bailey VL, CL Bilskis, SJ Fansler, LA McCue, JL Smith, and A Konopka. 2012. "Measurements of Microbial Community Activities in Individual Soil Macroaggregates." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 48:192-195. doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2012.01.004
- Plymale AE, VL Bailey, JK Fredrickson, SM Heald, EC Buck, L Shi, Z Wang, CT Resch, DA Moore, and H Bolton, Jr. 2012. "Biotic and Abiotic Reduction and Solubilization of Pu(IV)O2•xH2O(am) as Affected by Anthraquinone-2,6-disulfonate (AQDS) and Ethylenediaminetetraacetate (EDTA)." Environmental Science & Technology 46(4):2132-2140. doi:10.1021/es2030752
- Runkle RC, CE Aalseth, VL Bailey, R Bonicalzi, JJ Moran, A Seifert, and GA Warren. 2012. Opportunities for Decay Counting of Environmental Radioisotopes Using Ultra-low-background Detection Systems . PNNL-21709, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Webb-Robertson BJM, AL Bunn, and VL Bailey. 2011. "Phospholipid fatty acid biomarkers in a freshwater periphyton community exposed to uranium: discovery by non-linear statistical learning." Journal of Environmental Radioactivity 102(1):67-71. doi:10.1016/j.jenvrad.2010.09.005
- Bailey VL, SJ Fansler, JL Smith, and H Bolton, Jr. 2011. "Reconciling Apparent Variability in Effects of Biochar Amendment on Soil Enzyme Activities by Assay Optimization." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 43(2):296-301. doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2010.10.014
- Brown GE, A Chaka, DK Shuh, EE Roden, CJ Werth, NJ Hess, AR Felmy, KM Rosso, DR Baer, VL Bailey, ME Bowden, JW Grate, DW Hoyt, LR Kuprat, AS Lea, KT Mueller, M Oostrom, G Orr, L Pasa-Tolic, C Plata, EW Robinson, RG Teller, S Thevuthasan, H Wang, HS Wiley, and MJ Wilkins. 2011. EMSL Geochemistry, Biogeochemistry and Subsurface Science-Science Theme Advisory Panel Meeting. PNNL-20601, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Garten, Jr CT, DJ Brice, HF Castro, RL Graham, MA Mayes, JR Phillips, WM Post, CW Schadt, SD Wullschleger, DD Tyler, PM Jardine, JD Jastrow, R Matamala, RM Miller, KK Moran, T Vugteveen, RC Izaurralde, AM Thomson, TO West, JE Amonette, VL Bailey, FB Metting, and JL Smith. 2011. "Response of "Alamo" switchgrass tissue chemistry and biomass to nitrogen fertilization in west Tennessee, USA." Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 140(1-2):289-297. doi:10.1016/j.agee.2010.12.016
- Bailey VL, SJ Fansler, S Bandyopadhyay, JL Smith, KM Waters, and H Bolton, Jr. 2010. "Direct Detection of Soil mRNAs using Targeted Microarrays for Genes Associated with Lignin Degradation." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 42:1793-1799.
- Garten, Jr CT, JL Smith, DD Tyler, JE Amonette, VL Bailey, DJ Brice, HF Castro, RL Graham, CA Gunderson, RC Izaurralde, PM Jardine, JD Jastrow, MK Kerley, R Matamala, MA Mayes, FB Metting, RM Miller, KK Moran, WM Post, RD Sands, CW Schadt, JR Phillips, AM Thomson, T Vugteveen, TO West, and SD Wullschleger. 2010. "Intra-annual changes in biomass, carbon, and nitrogen dynamics at 4-year old switchgrass field trials in West Tennessee, USA." Agriculture, Ecosystems & Environment 136(1-2):177-184.
- Smith JL, HP Collins, and VL Bailey. 2010. "The effect of young biochar on soil respiration." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 42(12):2345-2347. doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2010.09.013
- Miracle AL, VL Bailey, SE Baker, AL Bunn, JK Magnuson, and BJM Webb-Robertson. 2009. "Integration of 'omics technologies for characterization of complex microbial ecosystems - 8119." In Waste Management Symposium 2008, pp. 832-841. WM Symposia, Tucson, AZ.
- Elshahed MS, NH Youseff , AM Spain, C Sheik, FZ Najar , LO Sukharnikov, BA Roe, JP Davis , PD schloss, VL Bailey, and LR Krumholz. 2008. "Novelty and uniqueness patterns of rare members of the soil biosphere." Applied and Environmental Microbiology 74(17):5422-5428. doi:10.1128/AEM.00410-08
- Jastrow JD, JE Amonette, and VL Bailey. 2007. "Mechanisms controlling soil carbon turnover and their potential application for enhancing carbon sequestration ." Climatic Change 80(1-2):5-23.
- Smith JL, JM Bell, H Bolton, Jr, and VL Bailey. 2007. "The Initial Rate of C Substrate Utilization and Longer-Term Soil C Storage." Biology and Fertility of Soils 44(2):315-320.
- Bailey VL, JL Smith, and H Bolton, Jr. 2006. "14C Cycling in Lignocellulose-Amended Soils: Predicting Long-Term C Fate from Short-Term Indicators." Biology and Fertility of Soils 42(3):198-206. doi:10.1007/s00374-005-0016-y
- Marshall MJ, AS Beliaev, A Dohnalkova, DW Kennedy, L Shi, Z Wang, MI Boyanov, B Lai, KM Kemner, JS Mclean, SB Reed, DE Culley, VL Bailey, CJ Simonson, D Saffarini, MF Romine, JM Zachara, and JK Fredrickson. 2006. "c-Type Cytochrome-Dependent Formation of U(IV) Nanoparticles by Shewanella oneidensis ." PloS Biology 4(8):1324-1333.
- Fansler SJ, JL Smith, H Bolton, Jr, and VL Bailey. 2005. "Distribution of Two C Cycle Enzymes in Soil Aggregates of a Prairie Chronosequence." Biology and Fertility of Soils 42(1):17-23. doi:10.1007/s00374-005-0867-2
- Post WM, RCC Izaurralde, JD Jastrow, BA McCarl, JE Amonette, VL Bailey, PM Jardine, TO West, and J Zhou. 2004. "Enhancement of Carbon Sequestration in US Soils." BioScience 54(10):895-908.
- Bailey VL, JL Smith, and H Bolton, Jr. 2003. "Novel Antibiotics as Inhibitors for the Selective Respiratory Inhibition Method of Measuring Fungal: Bacterial Ratios in Soil." Biology and Fertility of Soils 38(3):154-160.
- Bell JM, JL Smith, VL Bailey, and H Bolton, Jr. 2003. "Priming Effect and C Storage in Semi-Arid No-till Spring Crop Rotations ." Biology and Fertility of Soils 37(4):237-244.
- Bailey VL, AD Peacock, JL Smith, and H Bolton, Jr. 2002. "• Relationships between Soil Microbial Biomass Determined by Chloroform Fumigation-Extraction, Substrate-Induced Respiration, and Phospholipid Fatty Acid Analysis." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34:1385-1389.
- Bailey VL, JL Smith, and H Bolton, Jr. 2002. "Fungal-to-Bacterial Ratios in Soils Investigated for Enhanced C Sequestration." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 34:997-1007. doi:10.1016/S0038-0717(02)00033-0