Advanced Study & Development
Post Doctorate RA A
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
- Tropical Cyclone
- Indian Summer Monsoon
- Predictability of Highly convective systems
- Moist Physical Processes
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Science, University of Pune (worked place Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology), India
- M.Tech in Atmospheric Physics, University of Pune, India
- M.Sc in Physics, Guru GhasiDas University, India
- B.Sc in Physics (Hons), Mathematics, Electronics, University of Calcutta, India
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Meteorological Society
- Balaguru K, S Taraphdar, LYR Leung, and GR Foltz. 2014. "Increase in the Intensity of Postmonsoon Bay of Bengal Tropical Cyclones." Geophysical Research Letters 41(10):3594-3601. doi:10.1002/2014GL060197
- Balaguru K, S Taraphdar, LYR Leung, GR Foltz, and JA Knaff. 2014. "Cyclone-cyclone Interactions through the Ocean Pathway." Geophysical Research Letters 41(19):6855-6862. doi:10.1002/2014GL061489
- Taraphdar S, P Mukhopadhyay, LYR Leung, F Zhang, S Abhilash, and BN Goswami. 2014. "The Role of Moist Processes in the Intrinsic Predictability of Indian Ocean Cyclones." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(13):8032-8048. doi:10.1002/2013JD021265
- Hazra A, S Taraphdar, M Halder, S Pokhrel, HS Chaudhari, K Salunke, P Mukhopadhyay, and SA Rao. 2013. "Indian Summer Monsoon Drought 2009: Role of Aerosol and Cloud Microphysics." Atmospheric Science Letters 14(3):181-186. doi:10.1002/asl2.437
- Hazra A, P Mukhopadhyay, S Taraphdar, JP Chen, and WR Cotton. 2013. "Impact of Aerosols on Tropical Cyclones: An Investigation Using Convection-permitting Model Simulation." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(13):7157-7168. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50546
- Manoj MG, PCS Devara, and S Taraphdar. 2013. "Lidar Investigation of Tropical Nocturnal Boundary Layer Aerosols and Cloud Macrophysics." Atmospheric Research 132-133:65-75. doi:10.1016/j.atmosres.2013.05.007
- Chakravarty K, P Mukhopadhyay, and S Taraphdar. 2011. “Cloud microphysical properties as revealed by the CAIPEEX and satellite observations and evolution of a cloud system resolving model simulation of contrasting large scale environments.” J. Atmos. Solar Terres. Phys., 73:1790-1797. doi:10.1016/j.jastp.2011.04.006.
Mukhopadhyay P, S Taraphdar, and BN Goswami. 2011. “Influence of moist processes on track and intensity forecast of cyclones over the North Indian Ocean.” J. Geophys. Res. Atmos., 116:D05116. doi:10.1029/2010JD014700.
Taraphdar S, P Mukhopadhyay, and BN Goswami. 2010. "Predictability of Indian summer monsoon weather during active and break phases using a high resolution regional model." Geophys. Res. Lett., 37: L21812. doi:10.1029/2010GL044969.
- Mukhopadhyay P, S Taraphdar, BN Goswami, and K Krishnakumar. 2010. “Indian summer monsoon precipitation climatology in a high resolution regional climate model: Impact of convective parameterization on systematic biases.” Wea. Forecasting, 25:369-387. doi:10.1175/2009WAF2222320.1.
Taraphdar S, J Sanjay, and P Mukhopadhyay. 2009. "On northward movement of convergence zones along west coast of India in a real-time forecast." Meteorl. Atmos. Phys., 104:177–189. doi:10.1007/s00703-009-0025-8.
- Sanjay J, S Joshi, and S Taraphdar. 2007. "Numerical simulation of heavy rainfall over Ratnagiri on May 30, 2006 using WRF." Vayu Mandal, 33:39-50.
- Sanjay J, S Taraphdar, M Rajeevan, G B Pant, and P C Joshi. 2007. "Vegetation feedbacks on regional climate model forecasts over Indian region." Vayu Mandal, 33:18–27.
- Taraphdar S, J Sanjay, and P Mukhopadhyay. 2007. "On northward propagation of convergence zones along west coast of India in NCEP forecasts during onset of summer monsoon 2006." Vayu Mandal, 33:58-69.