Earth Systems Analysis & Modeling
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Huang joined PNNL in January 2010. Prior to joining PNNL, she was a research assistant professor in the Department of Civil, Structural, and Environmental Engineering at the State University of New York at Buffalo from 2008-2009, and a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Global Ecology at Carnegie Institution for Science from 2005-2008. She earned her Ph.D. in Civil and Environmental Engineering in 2005 from the University of California at Berkeley, with a focus on surface water hydrology and land surface modeling.
Her research interest lies in the study of carbon, water, and energy budgets at the regional scale in the context of land-use and climate change using earth system science approaches. She developed an ecosystem model that was designed specifically to quantify changes in carbon storage and fluxes following forest disturbance in humid tropical forests and applied it to investigate the impacts of selective logging on carbon budgets in the tropical forests over Brazilian Amazon. She also developed software to synthesize the measurements from eddy-covariance flux towers and other ground-based instruments in tropical regions such as Hawaii and SE Asia. These measurements are combined with remote sensing measurements and models to assessing the dynamics and consequences of alien tree invasion, rubber tree plantation, and climate change in those regions. While at Berkeley, she worked on the development of land surface models and/or hydrological models, and the applications of these models at watershed/regional scales offline or within coupled land-atmosphere systems. She implemented a dynamic representation of surface- and groundwater interactions into the Variable Infiltration Capacity land surface model (VIC-ground), developed two subsurface flow parameterizations for land surface models, and coupled VIC-ground to the regional climate model MM5.
- Land-atmosphere interactions
- Surface water hydrology
- Ecosystem modeling
- Regional climate modeling
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., 2005,Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California at Berkeley
- M.S., 2001, Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of California at Berkeley
- M.S. (equivalent), 2000, Atmospheric Sciences, Peking University
- B.S., 1996, Economic Geography and Urban and Regional Planning, Zhongshan (Sun Yat-sen) University
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union, Member since 2001
- American Meteorological Society, Member since 2002
Awards and Recognitions
- Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Fellowship, 2001, 2004.
- Berkeley Atmospheric Science Center Fellowship, 2003.
- International Lee Fellowship, UC-Berkeley, 2000.
- Xie Yibing Scholarship, Peking University, 1997
- First-class, Second-class, and Guanghua Scholarships, Zhongshan (Sun Yat-sen) University, 1993-1996
- Gao Y, LYR Leung, J Lu, Y Liu, M Huang, and Y Qian. 2014. "Robust Spring Drying in the Southwestern U.S. and Seasonal Migration of Wet/Dry Patterns in a Warmer Climate ." Geophysical Research Letters 41:1745-1751. doi:10.1002/2014GL059562
- Lei H, D Yang, and M Huang. 2014. "Impacts of Climate Change and Vegetation Dynamics on Runoff in the Mountainous Region of the Haihe River Basin in the Past Five Decades." Journal of Hydrology 511:786-799. doi:10.1016/j.jhydrol.2014.02.029
- Leng G, M Huang, Q Tang, H Gao, and LYR Leung. 2014. "Modeling the Effects of Groundwater-fed Irrigation on Terrestrial Hydrology over the Conterminous United States." Journal of Hydrometeorology 15(3):957-972. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-13-049.1
- Liu Z, RP Bambha, JP Pinto, T Zeng, J Boylan, M Huang, H Lei, C Zhao, S Liu, J Mao, CR Schwalm, X Shi, Y Wei, and HA Michelsen. 2014. "Toward Verifying Fossil Fuel CO2 Emissions with the CMAQ Model: Motivation, Model Description and Initial Simulation." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 64(4):419-435. doi:10.1080/10962247.2013.816642
- Tesfa TK, H Li, LYR Leung, M Huang, Y Ke, Y Sun, and Y Liu. 2014. "A Subbasin-based framework to represent land surface processes in an Earth System Model." Geoscientific Model Development 7(3):947-963. doi:10.5194/gmd-7-947-2014
- Tesfa TK, LYR Leung, M Huang, H Li, N Voisin, and MS Wigmosta. 2014. "Scalability of grid- and subbasin-based land surface modeling approaches for hydrologic simulations." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 119(6):3166-3184. doi:10.1002/2013JD020493
- West TO, YLB Le Page, M Huang, J Wolf, and AM Thomson. 2014. "Downscaling Global Land Cover Projections from an Integrated Assessment Model for Use in Regional Analyses: Results and Evaluation for the US from 2005 to 2095." Environmental Research Letters 9(6):Article No. 064004. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/9/6/064004
- Qian Y, M Huang, B Yang, and LK Berg. 2013. "A Modeling Study of Irrigation Effects on Surface Fluxes and Land-Air-Cloud Interactions in the Southern Great Plains." Journal of Hydrometeorology 14(3):700-721. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-12-0134.1
- Fang Y, M Huang, C Liu, H Li, and LYR Leung. 2013. "A Generic Biogeochemical Module for Earth System Models: Next Generation BioGeoChemical Module (NGBGC), Version 1.0." Geoscientific Model Development 6(6):1977-1988. doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1977-2013
- Hou Z, M Huang, DH Bacon, and LYR Leung. 2013. "Parameter Dimensionality Reduction in Complex Earth System Models through Exploratory Data Analyses and Calibration." In MODFLOW and More 2013: Translating Science into Practice, June 2-5, 2013, Golden, Colorado, ed. R Maxwell, et al, pp. 159-163. Integrated Ground Water Modeling Center (IGWMC), Colorado School of Mines, Golden, CO.
- Huang M, Z Hou, LYR Leung, Y Ke, Y Liu, Z Fang, and Y Sun. 2013. "Uncertainty Analysis of Runoff Simulations and Parameter Identifiability in the Community Land Model - Evidence from MOPEX Basins." Journal of Hydrometeorology 14:1754-1772. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-12-0138.1
- Huntzinger D, C Schwalm, AM Michalak, K Schaefer, AW King, Y Wei, A Jacobson, S Liu, RB Cook, WM Post, G Berthier, DJ Hayes, M Huang, A Ito, H Lei, C lu, J Mao, C Peng, S Peng, B Poulter, DM Ricciuto, X Shi, H Tian, W Wang, N Zeng, F Zhao, and Q Zhu. 2013. "The North American Carbon Program Multi-Scale Synthesis and Terrestrial Model Intercomparison Project - Part I: Overview and Experimental Design." Geoscientific Model Development 6:2121-2133. doi:10.5194/gmd-6-2121-2013
- Ke Y, LYR Leung, M Huang, and H Li. 2013. "Enhancing the Representation of Subgrid Land Surface Characteristics in Land Surface Models." Geoscientific Model Development 6:1609-1622. doi:10.5194/gmd-6-1609-2013
- Kumagai T, R Mudd, Y Miyazawa, W Liu, T Giambelluca, N Kobayashi, TK Lim, M Jomura, K Matsumoto, M Huang, Q Chen, A Ziegler, and S Yin. 2013. "Simulation of Canopy CO2/H2O Fluxes for a Rubber (Hevea Brasiliensis) Plantation in Central Cambodia: The Effect of the Regular Spacing of Planted Trees." Ecological Modelling 265:124-135. doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2013.06.016
- Leng G, M Huang, Q Tang, WJ Sacks, H Lei, and LYR Leung. 2013. "Modeling the Effects of Irrigation on Land Surface Fluxes and States over the Conterminous United States: Sensitivity to Input Data and Model Parameters." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(17):9789-9803. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50792
- Li H, MS Wigmosta, H Wu, M Huang, Y Ke, AM Coleman, and LYR Leung. 2013. "A Physically Based Runoff Routing Model for Land Surface and Earth System Models." Journal of Hydrometeorology 14(3):808-828. doi:10.1175/JHM-D-12-015.1
- Shi X, J Mao, P Thornton, and M Huang. 2013. "Spatiotemporal Patterns of Evapotranspiration in Response to Multiple Environmental Factors Simulated by the Community Land Model." Environmental Research Letters 8(2):Article No. 024012. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/2/024012
- Sun Y, Z Hou, M Huang, F Tian, and LYR Leung. 2013. "Inverse Modeling of Hydrologic Parameters Using Surface Flux and Runoff Observations in the Community Land Model." Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 17:4995-5011. doi:10.5194/hess-17-4995-2013
- Voisin N, L Liu, MI Hejazi, TK Tesfa, H Li, M Huang, Y Liu, and LYR Leung. 2013. "One-way coupling of an integrated assessment model and a water resources model: evaluation and implications of future changes over the US Midwest ." Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 17(No. 11):4555-4575. doi:10.5194/hess-17-4555-2013
- Voisin N, H Li, DL Ward, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, and LYR Leung. 2013. "On an improved sub-regional water resources management representation for integration into earth system models." Hydrology and Earth System Sciences 17(9):3605-3622. doi:10.5194/hess-17-3605-2013
- Xia Y, M Ek, J Sheffield, B Livneh, M Huang, H Wei, F Song, L Luo, J Meng, and E Wood. 2013. "Validation of Noah-simulated Soil Temperature in the North American Land Data Assimilation System Phase 2." Journal of Applied Meteorology and Climatology 52(2):455-471. doi:10.1175/JAMC-D-12-033.1
- Hou Z, M Huang, LYR Leung, G Lin, and DM Ricciuto. 2012. "Sensitivity of Surface Flux Simulations to Hydrologic Parameters Based on an Uncertainty Quantification Framework Applied to the Community Land Model ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 117:D15108. doi:10.1029/2012JD017521
- Ke Y, LYR Leung, M Huang, AM Coleman, H Li, and MS Wigmosta. 2012. "Development of High Resolution Land Surface Parameters for the Community Land Model." Geoscientific Model Development 5(6):1341-1362. doi:10.5194/gmd-5-1341-2012
- Li H, H Wu, M Huang, and LYR Leung. 2012. "Representing natural and manmade drainage systems in an earth system modeling framework." Irrigation & Drainage Systems Engineering 1(2):Article No. e107.
- Wu H, JS Kimball, H Li, M Huang, LYR Leung, and RF Adler. 2012. "A New Global River Network Database for Macroscale Hydrologic modeling." Water Resources Research 48:W09701. doi:10.1029/2012WR012313
- Li H, M Huang, MS Wigmosta, Y Ke, AM Coleman, LYR Leung, A Wang, and DM Ricciuto. 2011. "Evaluating runoff simulations from the Community Land Model 4.0 using observations from flux towers and a mountainous watershed." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 116:Article No. D24120. doi:10.1029/2011JD016276
- Huang M, and GP Asner. 2010. "Long-term Carbon Loss and Recovery Following Selective Logging in Amazon Forests." Global Biogeochemical Cycles 24:Article No. GB3028. doi:10.1029/2009GB003727
- Leung LYR, M Huang, Y Qian, and X Liang. 2010. "Climate-Soil-Vegetation Control on Groundwater Table Dynamics and its Feedbacks in a Climate Model." Climate Dynamics 36(1-2):57-81. doi:10.1007/s00382-010-0746-x