Atmospheric Chemistry & Meteorology
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. John Shilling is an early-career atmospheric chemist at PNNL with expertise in measuring aerosol gas- and particle-phase chemical composition and gas/particle interactions. He came to PNNL in 2008 as a staff scientist and led a project to design and build an aerosol measurement laboratory and environmental chamber in PNNL's Atmospheric Measurement Laboratory (AML). Dr. Shilling is an expert in aerosol gas and particle measurements and in applying mass spectrometry to problems in atmospheric chemistry. Currenly, he is conducting laboratory experiments investigating the lifecycle of organic aerosol particles and their climate-relevant properties. Dr. Shilling has also applied his mass spectrometry expertise to field studies. He served as the principal investigator for both gas- and particle-phase mass spectrometers deployed onboard the G-1 research aircraft during several field campaigns including CARES, TCAP, BBOP and GoAmazon (upcoming).
- Secondary organic aerosols
- Heterogeneous kinetics and chemistry
- Phase transitions
- Mass spectrometry
Education and Credentials
- Post-doctoral Associate at Harvard University
- Ph.D., Analytical/Atmospheric Chemistry, University of Colorado
- B.S., Chemistry (with Honors) Ursinus College
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Association of Aerosol Research, Member
- American Geophysical Union, Member
Awards and Recognitions
- Selected to attend the Atmospheric Chemistry Colloquium for Emerging Senior Scientists (ACCESS)
- NASA Earth System Science Fellow
- ACS Award for Undergraduate Achievement
- ACS Undergraduate Award in Analytical Chemistry
- Xu L, MS Kollman, C Song, JE Shilling, and LN Ng. 2014. "Effects of NOx on the volatility of secondary organic aerosol from isoprene photooxidation." Environmental Science & Technology 48(4):2253-2262. doi:10.1021/es404842g
- Zaveri RA, RC Easter, Jr, JE Shilling, and JH Seinfeld. 2014. "Modeling kinetic partitioning of secondary organic aerosol and size distribution dynamics: representing effects of volatility, phase state, and particle-phase reaction." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 14(10):5153-5181. doi:10.5194/acp-14-5153-2014
- Shilling JE, RA Zaveri, JD Fast, LI Kleinman, ML Alexander, MR Canagaratna, E Fortner, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, A Sedlacek, A Setyan, S Springston, DR Worsnop, and Q Zhang. 2013. "Enhanced SOA formation from mixed anthropogenic and biogenic emissions during the CARES campaign." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 13(4):2091-2113. doi:10.5194/acp-13-2091-2013
- Renbaum-Wolff L, JW Grayson, AP Bateman, M Kuwata, M Sellier, BJ Murray, JE Shilling, ST Martin, and AK Bertram. 2013. "Viscosity of a-pinene secondary organic material and implications for particle growth and reactivity." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 110(20):8014-8019. doi:10.1073/pnas.1219548110
- Shakya KM, S Liu, S Takahama, LM Russell, FN Keutsch, MM Galloway, JE Shilling, N Hiranuma, C Song, H Kim, SE Paulson, L Pfaffenberger, P Barmet, JG Slowik, ASH Prevot, J Dommen, and U Baltensperger. 2013. "Similarities in STXM-NEXAFS Spectra of Atmospheric Particles and Secondary Organic Aerosol Generated from Glyoxal, a-Pinene, Isoprene, 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene, and d-Limonene." Aerosol Science and Technology 47(5):543-555. doi:10.1080/02786826.2013.772950
- Song C, MS Gyawali, RA Zaveri, JE Shilling, and WP Arnott. 2013. "Light Absorption by Secondary Organic Aerosol from a-Pinene: Effects of Oxidants, Seed Aerosol Acidity, and Relative Humidity." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 118(20):11,741-11,749. doi:10.1002/jgrd.50767
- Wang B, ST Kelly, RE Sellon, JE Shilling, AV Tivanski, RC Moffet, MK Gilles, and A Laskin. 2013. "Field and Laboratory Studies of Reactions between Atmospheric Water Soluble Organic Acids and Inorganic Particles." In Nucleation and Atmospheric Aerosols: 19th International Conference, June 23-28, 2013, Fort Collins, CO. AIP Conference Proceedings, vol. 1527, pp. 465-467. AIP Publishing, Fort Collins, CO. doi:10.1063/1.4803305
- Liu S, JE Shilling, C Song, N Hiranuma, RA Zaveri, and LM Russell. 2012. "Hydrolysis of organonitrate functional groups in aerosol particles." Aerosol Science and Technology 46(12):1359-1369. doi:10.1080/02786826.2012.716175
- Setyan A, Q Zhang, M Merkel, WB Knighton, Y Sun, C Song, JE Shilling, TB Onasch, SC Herndon, DR Worsnop, JD Fast, RA Zaveri, LK Berg, A Wiedensohler, BA Flowers, MK Dubey, and R Subramanian. 2012. "Characterization of submicron particles influenced by mixed biogenic and anthropogenic emissions using high-resolution aerosol mass spectrometry: results from CARES." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(17):8131-8156. doi:10.5194/acp-12-8131-2012
- You Y, L Renbaum-Wolff, M Carreras-Sospedra, S Hanna, N Hiranuma, S Kamal, ML Smith, X Zhang, R Weber, JE Shilling, D Dabdub, ST Martin, and AK Bertram. 2012. "Images reveal that atmospheric particles can undergo liquid-liquid phase separations." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 109(33):13188-13193. doi:10.1073/pnas.1206414109
- Zaveri RA, WJ Shaw, DJ Cziczo, B Schmid, R Ferrare, ML Alexander, M Alexandrov, RJ Alvarez, WP Arnott, D Atkinson, S Baidar, RM Banta, JC Barnard, J Beranek, LK Berg, FJ Brechtel, WA Brewer, JF Cahill, B Cairns, CD Cappa, D Chand, S China, JM Comstock, MK Dubey, RC Easter, Jr, MH Erickson, JD Fast, C Floerchinger, BA Flowers, E Fortner, JS Gaffney, MK Gilles, K Gorkowski, WI Gustafson, Jr, MS Gyawali, J Hair, M Hardesty, JW Harworth, SC Herndon, N Hiranuma, CA Hostetler, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, H Jeong, BT Jobson, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, CD Kluzek, B Knighton, KR Kolesar, C Kuang, A Kubatova, AO Langford, A Laskin, NS Laulainen, RD Marchbanks, C Mazzoleni, F Mei, RC Moffet, DA Nelson, M Obland, H Oetjen, TB Onasch, I Ortega, M Ottaviani, MS Pekour, KA Prather, JG Radney, R Rogers, SP Sandberg, A Sedlacek, C Senff, G Senum, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, C Song, SR Springston, R Subramanian, K Suski, JM Tomlinson, RM Volkamer, HA Wallace, J Wang, AM Weickmann, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, A Zelenyuk, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Overview of the 2010 Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7647-7687. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7647-2012
- Hiranuma N, M Kohn, MS Pekour, DA Nelson, JE Shilling, and DJ Cziczo. 2011. "Droplet activation, separation, and compositional analysis: Laboratory studies and atmospheric measurements ." Atmospheric Measurement Techniques 4(1):691-713. doi:10.5194/amtd-4-691-2011
- Chen Q, Y Liu, NM Donahue, JE Shilling, and ST Martin. 2011. "Particle-Phase Chemistry of Secondary Organic Material: Modeled Compared to Measured O:C and H:C Elemental Ratios Provide Constraints." Environmental Science & Technology 45(11):4763-4770. doi:10.1021/es104398s
- Song C, RA Zaveri, JE Shilling, ML Alexander, and MK Newburn. 2011. "Effect of Hydrophilic Organic Seed Aerosols on Secondary Organic Aerosol Formation from Ozonolysis of a-Pinene ." Environmental Science & Technology 45(17):7323-7329. doi:10.1021/es201225c
- King SM, T Rosenoern, JE Shilling, Q Chen, Z Wang, G Biskos, KA McKinney, U Poschl, and ST Martin. 2010. "Cloud droplet activation of mixed organic-sulfate particles produced by the photooxidation of isoprene." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 10(8):3953-3964. doi:10.5194/acpd-10-213-2010
- Shilling JE, Q Chen, SM King, T Rosenoern, JH Kroll, DR Worsnop, P DeCarlo, A Aiken, DT Sueper, JL Jimenez, and ST Martin. 2009. "Loading-Dependent Elemental Composition of a-Pinene SOA Particles." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(3):771-782.
- King SM, T Rosenoern, JE Shilling, Q Chen, and ST Martin. 2009. "Increased Cloud Activation Potential of Secondary Organic Aerosol for Atmospheric Mass Loadings." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 9(9):2959-2971.
Shilling JE, Q Chen, SM King, T Rosenoern, JH Kroll, DR Worsnop, PF DeCarlo, AC Aiken, D Sueper, JL Jimenez, and ST Martin. 2008. "Loading-Dependent Elemental Composition of α-Pinene SOA Particles." Atmos. Chem. Phys. 9: 771-782.
- King, SM, T Rosenoern, JE Shilling, Q Chen, and ST Martin. 2009. “Increased Cloud Activation Potential of Secondary Organic Aerosol for Atmospheric Mass Loadings.” Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss. 9: 1669-1702.
Shilling JE, Q Chen, SM King, T Rosenoern, JH Kroll, DR Worsnop, KA McKinney, ST Martin. 2008 Particle mass yield in secondary organic aerosol formed by the dark ozonolysis of α-pinene. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 8, 2073-2088.
- King SM, T Rosenoern, JE Shilling, Q Chen, and ST Martin. 2007. "Cloud Condensation Nucleus Activity of Secondary Organic Aerosol Particles Mixed with Sulfate." Geophysical Research Letters 34:Art. No. L24806. doi:10.1029/2007GL030390.
- Shilling JE, SM King, M Mochida, DR Worsnop, and ST Martin. 2007. "Mass Spectral Evidence that Small Changes in Chemical Composition Caused by Oxidative Aging Processes Alter Aerosol CCN Properties." Journal of Physical Chemistry A 111:3358-3368.
- Shilling JE, BM Connelly, and MA Tolbert. 2006. "Uptake of Small Oxygenated Organic Molecules onto Ammonium Nitrate Under Upper Tropospheric Consitions." Journal of Physical Chemistry A 110:6687-6695.
- Shilling JE, MA Tolbert, OB Toon, EJ Jensen, BJ Murray, and AK Bertram. 2006. "Measurements of the Vapor Pressure of Cubic Ice and Their Implications for Atmospheric Ice Clouds." Geophysical Research Letters 33: Article No. L17801.
- Shilling JE, TJ Fortin, and MA Tolbert. 2006. "Depositional Ice Nucleation on Crystalline organic and inorganic Solids." Journal of Geophysical Research 111(D12): Article No. D12204.
- Shilling JE and MA Tolbert. 2004. "Uptake of Acetic Acid on Thin Ammonium Nitrate Films as a function of Temperature and Relative Humidity. Journal of Physical Chemistry A 108:11314-11320.
- Wise ME, JD Surratt, DB Curtis, JE Shilling, and MA Tolbert. 2003. "Hygroscopic Growth of Ammonium Sulfate/Dicarboxylic Acids." Journal of Geophysical Research 108(D20): Article No. 4638.
- Fortin TJ, JE Shilling, and MA Tolbert. 2002. "Infrared Spectroscopic Study of rthe Low-Temperature Phase Behavior of Ammonium Sulfate." Journal of Geophysical Research 107(D10): Article No. 1029.
- Hudson PK, JE Shilling, MA Tolbert, and OB Toon. 2002. "Uptake of Nitric Acid on Ice at Tropospheric Temperatures: Implications for Cirrus Clouds." Journal of Physical Chemistry A 106:9874-9882.