Terrestrial Processes & Adaptation
I am a Research Scientist at the Joint Global Change Research Institute, a collaboration between the DOE Pacific Northwest National Laboratory and the University of Maryland, in College Park, Maryland.
My research concerns carbon and nutrient cycling in terrestrial ecosystems, particularly (but not exclusively) high-latitude northern ecosystems. As a forest ecologist with training in a variety of field, lab, and modeling techniques, I'm interested in several broad areas:
Disturbance effects and forest stress. Disturbances--in particular, stand-replacing wildfires--are increasing in many parts of the world, and dominate carbon cycling in most North American boreal forests. How will this affect forest structure and function, particularly if fire intensity is changing as well? Will boreal trees be able to cope with a warming climate and degrading permafrost?
Ecosystem respiration. We understand, and are able to model, photosynthesis much better than we do respiration. How will the heterotrophic component of this flux respond? What is the potential for ecosystems to lose some of their long-sequestered carbon?
Multiscale modeling. Some ecology and earth science questions can only be answered by computer models. Such models operate at scales from a single plant to the entire globe, and propagating results and insights between scales is tricky. How can our models be parameterized efficiently and effectively, run quickly, and their results understood and evaluated? Can science results be used effectively in policy-oriented integrated assessment models that are our only tool for evaluating global-level impacts of policy and climate change, particularly with regard to land use?
- Carbon cycling
- Disturbance effects
- Ecosystem respiration
- Multiscale modeling
- Climate change
Education and Credentials
- 2003: University of Wisconsin, Madison, Wisconsin. Ph.D. with Dr. Stith T. Gower (Forest Ecosystem Ecology): "Carbon Dynamics of a Boreal Black Spruce Fire Chronosequence".
- 1993: Williams College, Williamstown, Massachusetts. BA in History and Computer Science. Prizes in both departments; Magna Cum Laude and Phi Beta Kappa.
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- Ecological Society of America
- American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Section Editor, PLOS ONE
- Hartin CA, PL Patel, A Schwarber, RP Link, and B Bond-Lamberty. 2015. "A simple object-oriented and open source model for scientific and policy analyses of the global climate system-Hector v1.0." Geoscientific Model Development 8(4):939-955. doi:10.5194/gmd-8-939-2015
- Le Page YLB, D Morton, B Bond-Lamberty, JM Pereira, and GC Hurtt. 2015. "HESFIRE: a global fire model to explore the role of anthropogenic and weather drivers." Biogeosciences 12(3):887-903. doi:10.5194/bg-12-887-2015
- Bond-Lamberty B, JP Fisk, J Holm, VL Bailey, G Bohrer, and C Gough. 2015. "Moderate forest disturbance as a stringent test for gap and big-leaf models." Biogeosciences 12(2):513-526. doi:10.5194/bg-12-513-2015
- Yang X, C Liu, Y Fang, R Hinkle, H Li, VL Bailey, and B Bond-Lamberty. 2015. "Simulations of Ecosystem Hydrological Processes Using a Unified Multi-Scale Model." Ecological Modelling 296:93-101. doi:10.1016/j.ecolmodel.2014.10.032
- Zhou Y, SJ Smith, K Zhao, ML Imhoff, AM Thomson, B Bond-Lamberty, GR Asrar, X Zhang, C He, and C Elvidge. 2015. "A global map of urban extent from nightlights." Environmental Research Letters 10(5):Article No. 054011. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/10/5/054011
- Le Page YLB, D Morton, B Bond-Lamberty, JMC Pereira, and G Hurtt. 2014. "HESFIRE: an explicit fire model for projections in the coupled Human-Earth System." Biogeosciences 11(7):10779-10826. doi:10.5194/bgd-11-10779-2014
- Bond-Lamberty B, KV Calvin, AD Jones, J Mao, PL Patel, X Shi, AM Thomson, PE Thornton, and Y Zhou. 2014. "On linking an Earth system model to the equilibrium carbon representation of an economically optimizing land use model." Geoscientific Model Development 7(6):2545-2555. doi:10.5194/gmd-7-2545-2014
- Bond-Lamberty B, A Rocha, KV Calvin, B Holmes, C Wang, and ML Goulden. 2014. "Disturbance legacies and climate jointly drive tree growth and mortality in an intensively studied boreal forest." Global Change Biology 20(1):216-227. doi:10.1111/gcb.12404
- Di Vittorio A, LM Chini, B Bond-Lamberty, J Mao, X Shi, JE Truesdale, AP Craig, KV Calvin, AD Jones, WD Collins, JA Edmonds, G Hurtt, PE Thornton, and AM Thomson. 2014. "From land use to land cover: Restoring the afforestation signal in a coupled integrated assessment - earth system model and the implications for CMIP5 RCP simulations." Biogeosciences 11(23):6435-6450. doi:10.5194/bg-11-6435-2014
- Levy O, B Ball, B Bond-Lamberty, K Cheruvelil, AO Finley, N Lottig, SW Punyasena, J Xiao, J Zhou, LB Buckley, CT Filstrup, TH Keitt, JR Kellner, AK Knapp, AD Richardson, D Tcheng, M Toomey, R Vargas, JW Voordeckers, T Wagner, and JW Williams. 2014. "Approaches to advancescientific understanding of macrosystems ecology." Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 12(1):15-23. doi:10.1890/130019
- Li F, B Bond-Lamberty, and S Levis. 2014. "Quantifying the role of fire in the Earth system - Part 2: Impact on the net carbon balance of global terrestrial ecosystems for the 20th century." Biogeosciences 11(5):1345-1360. doi:10.5194/bg-11-1345-2014
- Ruegg J, C Gries, B Bond-Lamberty, G Bowen, B Felzer, N McIntyre, P Soranno, K Vanderbilt, and K Weathers. 2014. "Closing the data life cycle: using information management in macrosystems ecology research." Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 12(1):24-30. doi:10.1890/120375
- Bond-Lamberty B. 2013. "Global vegetation model diversity and the risks of climate-driven ecosystem shifts." Environmental Research Letters 8(4):Article No. 041004. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/4/041004
- Le Page YLB, G Hurtt, AM Thomson, B Bond-Lamberty, PL Patel, MA Wise, KV Calvin, GP Kyle, LE Clarke, JA Edmonds, and AC Janetos. 2013. "Sensitivity of climate mitigation strategies to natural disturbances." Environmental Research Letters 8(1):Article No. 015018. doi:10.1088/1748-9326/8/1/015018
- Wang C, Y Han, J Chen, X Wang, Q Zhang, and B Bond-Lamberty. 2013. "Seasonality of soil CO2 efflux in a temperate forest: Biophysical effects of snowpack and spring freeze-thaw cycles." Agricultural and Forest Meteorology 177:83- 92. doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2013.04.008
- Bond-Lamberty B, AG Bunn, and AM Thomson. 2012. "Multi-Year Lags between Forest Browning and Soil Respiration at High Northern Latitudes." PLoS One 7(11):Article No. e50441. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0050441
- Goetz SJ, B Bond-Lamberty, BE Law, J Hicke, C Huang, RA Houghton, S McNulty, T O'Halloran, M Harmon, A Meddens, E Pfeifer, D Mildrexler, and E Kasischke. 2012. "Observations and assessment of forest carbon recovery following disturbance in North America." Journal of Geophysical Research. Biogeosciences 117:Article No. G02022. doi:10.1029/2011JG001733
- Kim DG, R Vargas, B Bond-Lamberty, and M Turetsky. 2012. "Effects of soil rewetting and thawing on soil gas fluxes: a review of current literature and suggestions for future research." Biogeosciences 9(7):2459-2483. doi:10.5194/bg-9-2459-2012
- Turetsky M, B Bond-Lamberty, ES Euskirchen, J Talbot, S Frolking, AD McGuire, and ES Tuittila. 2012. "The resilience and functional role of moss in boreal and arctic ecosystems ." New Phytologist 196(1):49-67. doi:10.1111/j.1469-8137.2012.04254.x
- Bond-Lamberty B, D Bronson, E Bladyka, and ST Gower. 2011. "A comparison of trenched plot techniques for partitioning soil respiration ." Soil Biology and Biochemistry 43(10):2108-2114. doi:10.1016/j.soilbio.2011.06.011
- Bond-Lamberty B, ST Gower, B Amiro, and B Ewers. 2011. "Measurement and modeling of bryophyte evaporation in a boreal forest chronosequence." Ecohydrology 4(1):26-35. doi:10.1002/eco.118
- Ewers B, B Bond-Lamberty, and DS Mackay. 2011. "Consequences of stand age and species' functional trait changes on ecosystem water use of forests." In Size- and Age-Related Changes in Tree Structure and Function: Tree Physiology, vol. 4, ed. FC Meinzer, B Lachenbruch & TE Dawson, pp. 481-505. Springer , New York, NY.
- Harmon M, B Bond-Lamberty, J Tang, and R Vargas. 2011. "Heterotrophic respiration in disturbed forests: A review with examples from North America." Journal of Geophysical Research. Biogeosciences 116:1-17. doi:10.1029/2010JG001495
- Liu S, B Bond-Lamberty, J Hicke, R Vargas, S Zhao, JM Chen, S Edburg, Y Hu, J Liu, AD McGuire, J Xiao, R Keane, W Yuan, J Tang, Y Luo, C Potter, and J Oeding. 2011. "Simulating the Impacts of Disturbances on Forest Carbon Cycling in North America: Processes, Data, Models, and Challenges." Journal of Geophysical Research. Biogeosciences 116:Article No. G00K08. doi:10.1029/2010JG001585
- Thomson AM, KV Calvin, SJ Smith, GP Kyle, AC Volke, PL Patel, S Delgado Arias, B Bond-Lamberty, MA Wise, LE Clarke, and JA Edmonds. 2011. "RCP4.5: A Pathway for Stabilization of Radiative Forcing by 2100." Climatic Change 109(1-2):77-94. doi:10.1007/s10584-011-0151-4
- Bond-Lamberty B, and AM Thomson. 2010. "A global database of soil respiration data." Biogeosciences 7(6):1915-1926.
- Bond-Lamberty B, and AM Thomson. 2010. "Temperature-associated increases in the global soil respiration record." Nature 464(7288):579-582. doi:10.1038/nature08930
- Goulden ML, A McMillan, G Winston, A Rocha, K Manies, JW Harden, and B Bond-Lamberty. 2010. "Patterns of NPP, GPP, Respiration and NEP During Boreal Forest Succession." Global Change Biology 17(2):855-871. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2486.2010.02274.x
- Quan X, C Wang, Q Zhang, X Wang, Y Luo, and B Bond-Lamberty. 2010. "Dynamics of fine roots in five Chinese temperate forests." Journal of Plant Research 123 (4):497-507.
- Thomson AM, KV Calvin, LP Chini, G Hurtt, JA Edmonds, B Bond-Lamberty, S Frolking, MA Wise, and AC Janetos. 2010. "Climate mitigation and the future of tropical landscapes." Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America 107(46):19633-19638 .
- Bond-Lamberty B, SD Peckham, ST Gower, and B Ewers. 2009. "Effects of fire on regional evapotranspiration in the central Canadian boreal forest." Global Change Biology 15(5):1242-1254.
- Calvin KV, JA Edmonds, B Bond-Lamberty, LE Clarke, SH Kim, GP Kyle, SJ Smith, AM Thomson, and MA Wise. 2009. "2.6: Limiting Climate Change to 450 ppm CO2 Equivalent in the 21st Century." Energy Economics 31(2):S107-S120.
- Calvin KV, JA Edmonds, LE Clarke, B Bond-Lamberty, SH Kim, MA Wise, AM Thomson, and GP Kyle. 2009. Land-use Leakage. PNNL-18585, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wise MA, KV Calvin, AM Thomson, LE Clarke, B Bond-Lamberty, RD Sands, SJ Smith, AC Janetos, and JA Edmonds. 2009. "Implications of Limiting CO2 Concentrations for Land Use and Energy." Science 324(5931):1183-1186 .