Atmospheric Sciences & Global Change Division
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Dr. Beat Schmid is an Associate Director in the Atmospheric Sciences and Global Change Division of the Fundamental and Computational Sciences Directorate, at PNNL where he manages the Climate Physics and the Aerial Facility Groups. As a team of ~50 researchers and support staff, the two groups connect climate-relevant measurements in laboratory, outdoor and aircraft settings with process and regional- to global-scale modeling studies. Under Dr. Schmid's management, the two groups have published ~300 journal papers in the last 6 years.
Dr. Schmid is also the Technical Director for the DOE ARM Aerial Facility which provides airborne measurements required to answer science questions proposed by the atmospheric research community.
Dr. Schmid is an expert in airborne atmospheric research. He has been involved as a participant or leader in well over a dozen large multi-agency aircraft campaigns and has served on the Science Teams for two NASA satellite instruments. He is an author of over 70 peer-reviewed journal publications.
Dr. Schmid has been was awarded two DOE Appreciation Awards and four NASA Group Achievement Awards, most recently for the development of world's first Airborne Sun-Tracking and Scanning Spectrometer (4STAR).
Dr. Schmid has been with PNNL since 2006. Previously he was a Group Leader and Senior Scientist with the Bay Area Environmental Research Institute where he worked in conjunction with the NASA Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, CA.
- Airborne atmospheric research
- Solar radiation instrumentation
- Aerosol closure studies
- Lidar and satellite validation
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D, Physics, 1995, University of Bern, Switzerland
- M.S., Liz. Phil. Nat., 1991, University of Bern, Switzerland
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Meteorological Society, member
- American Geophysical Union, member
- Associate Editor, Journal Geophysical Research - Clouds and Aerosols (2002- 2012)
Awards and Recognitions
- Four NASA Group Achievement Awards: INTEX (2005), SOLVE II (2004), and ARCTAS (2009) Science Teams, 4STAR Development Team (2011)
- Two DOE Appreciation Awards for dedicated service as Chair of the ARM Aerosol Working Group and Member of the ARM Climate Research Facility Science Board
- Pekour MS, B Schmid, D Chand, JM Hubbe, CD Kluzek, DA Nelson, JM Tomlinson, and DJ Cziczo. 2012. "Development of a new airborne humidigraph system." Aerosol Science and Technology 47(2):201-207. doi:10.1080/02786826.2012.741274
- Kassianov EI, CJ Flynn, J Redemann, B Schmid, PB Russell, and A Sinyuk. 2012. "Aerosol Properties from Multi-spectral and Multi-angular Aircraft 4STAR Observations: Expected Advantages and Challenges." In Remote Sensing of Clouds and the Atmosphere XVII; and Lidar Technologies, Techniques, and Measurements for Atmospheric Remote Sensing VIII, September 24-27, 2012, Edinburgh, United Kingdom. Proceedings of the SPIE, vol. 8534, ed. EI Kassianov, et al, p. Paper No. 85340J. SPIE Publishing, Bellingham, WA. doi:10.1117/12.974744
- Kassianov EI, CJ Flynn, J Redemann, B Schmid, PB Russell, and A Sinyuk. 2012. "Initial Assessment of the Spectrometer for Sky-Scanning, Sun-Tracking Atmospheric Research (4STAR)-Based Aerosol Retrieval: Sensitivity Study." Atmosphere 3(4):495-521. doi:10.3390/atmos3040495
- Vogelmann AM, G McFarquhar, JA Ogren, DD Turner, JM Comstock, G Feingold, CN Long, H Jonsson, A Bucholtz, DR Collins, GS Diskin, H Gerber, P Lawson, R Woods, E Andrews, HJ Yang, CJ Chiu, D Hartsock, JM Hubbe, C Lo, A Marshak, J Monroe, SA McFarlane, B Schmid, JM Tomlinson, and T Toto. 2012. "RACORO Extended-Term Aircraft Observations of Boundary-Layer Clouds." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 93(6):861-878.
- Zaveri RA, WJ Shaw, DJ Cziczo, B Schmid, R Ferrare, ML Alexander, M Alexandrov, RJ Alvarez, WP Arnott, D Atkinson, S Baidar, RM Banta, JC Barnard, J Beranek, LK Berg, FJ Brechtel, WA Brewer, JF Cahill, B Cairns, CD Cappa, D Chand, S China, JM Comstock, MK Dubey, RC Easter, Jr, MH Erickson, JD Fast, C Floerchinger, BA Flowers, E Fortner, JS Gaffney, MK Gilles, K Gorkowski, WI Gustafson, Jr, MS Gyawali, J Hair, M Hardesty, JW Harworth, SC Herndon, N Hiranuma, CA Hostetler, JM Hubbe, JT Jayne, H Jeong, BT Jobson, EI Kassianov, LI Kleinman, CD Kluzek, B Knighton, KR Kolesar, C Kuang, A Kubatova, AO Langford, A Laskin, NS Laulainen, RD Marchbanks, C Mazzoleni, F Mei, RC Moffet, DA Nelson, M Obland, H Oetjen, TB Onasch, I Ortega, M Ottaviani, MS Pekour, KA Prather, JG Radney, R Rogers, SP Sandberg, A Sedlacek, C Senff, G Senum, A Setyan, JE Shilling, MKB Shrivastava, C Song, SR Springston, R Subramanian, K Suski, JM Tomlinson, RM Volkamer, HA Wallace, J Wang, AM Weickmann, DR Worsnop, XY Yu, A Zelenyuk, and Q Zhang. 2012. "Overview of the 2010 Carbonaceous Aerosols and Radiative Effects Study (CARES)." Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics 12(16):7647-7687. doi:10.5194/acp-12-7647-2012
- McFarquhar G, B Schmid, A Korolev, JA Ogren, PB Russell, JM Tomlinson, DD Turner, and WJ Wiscombe. 2011. "Airborne Instrumentation Needs for Climate and Atmospheric Research." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 92(9):1193-1196. doi:10.1175/2011BAMS3180.1
- McFarquhar G, SJ Ghan, J Verlinde, A Korolev, JW Strapp, B Schmid, JM Tomlinson, M Wolde, SD Brooks, DJ Cziczo, MK Dubey, PhD, J Fan, CJ Flynn, I Gultepe, JM Hubbe, MK Gilles, A Laskin, P Lawson, WR Leaitch, PS Liu, X Liu, D Lubin, C Mazzoleni, AM Macdonald, RC Moffet, H Morrison, M Ovchinnikov, MD Shupe, DD Turner, S Xie, A Zelenyuk, K Bae, M Freer, and A Glen. 2011. "Indirect and Semi-Direct Aerosol Campaign: The Impact of Arctic Aerosols on Clouds ." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 92(2):183 - 201. doi:10.1175/2010BAMS2935.1
- Guan H, B Schmid, A Bucholtz, and R Bergstrom. 2010. "Sensitivity of shortwave radiative flux density, forcing, and heating rates to the aerosol vertical profile ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 115:Art. No. D06209. doi:10.1029/2009JD012907
- Long CN, A Bucholtz, H Jonsson, B Schmid, AM Vogelmann, and J Wood. 2010. "A Method of Correcting for Tilt From Horizontal in Downwelling Shortwave Irradiance Measurements on Moving Platforms." Open Atmospheric Science Journal 4:78-87. doi:10.2174/1874282301004010078
- Schmid B, CJ Flynn, RK Newsom, DD Turner, R Ferrare, MF Clayton, E Andrews, JA Ogren, RR Johnson, PB Russell, W Gore, and R Dominguez. 2009. "Validation of aerosol extinction and water vapor profiles from routine Atmospheric Radiation Measurement Climate Research Facility measurements ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 114(D22207):, doi:10.1029/2009JD012682
- Alexandrov M, B Schmid, DD Turner, B Cairns, V Oinas, AA Lacis, S Gutman, ER Westwater, A Smirnov, and J Eilers. 2009. "Columnar water vapor retrievals from multifilter rotating shadowband radiometer data ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 114(D02306):, doi:10.1029/2008JD010543
- Waquet F, B Cairns, KD Knobelspiesse, J Chowdhary, LD Travis, B Schmid, and M Mishchenko. 2009. "Polarimetric Remote Sensing of Aerosols over Land ." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 114(D01206):, doi:10.1029/2008JD010619
- Knobelspiesse KD, B Cairns, B Schmid, MO Roman, and CB Schaaf. 2008. "Surface BRDF estimation from an aircraft compared to MODIS and ground estimates at the Southern Great Plains site." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 113(D20105):, doi:10.1029/2008JD010062
- Livingston JM, B Schmid, PB Russell, JR Podolske, J Redemann, and GS Diskin. 2008. "Comparison of Water Vapor Measurements by Airborne Sun Photometer and Diode Laser Hygrometer on the NASA DC-8." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 25(10):1733-1743. doi:10.1175/2008JTECHA1047.1
- Magi B, Q Fu, J Redemann, and B Schmid. 2008. "Using aircraft measurements to estimate the magnitude and uncertainty of the shortwave direct radiative forcing of southern African biomass burning aerosol." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 113(D5):Art. No. D05213. doi:10.1029/2007JD009258
- McComiskey A, SE Schwartz, B Schmid, H Guan, ER Lewis, P Ricchiazzi, and JA Ogren. 2008. "Direct Aerosol Forcing: Calculation from Observables and Sensitivities to Inputs." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 113(D9):Art. No. D09202. doi:10.1029/2007JD009170
- Kuzmanoski M, MA Box, B Schmid, GP Box, J Wang, PR Russel, D Bates, H Jonsson, EJ Welton, and JH Seinfeld. 2007. "Aerosol properties computed from aircraft-based observations during the ACE-Asia campaign: 2. A case study of lidar ratio closure." Aerosol Science and Technology 41(3):231-243. doi:10.1080/02786820601146977
- Kuzmanoski M, MA Box, B Schmid, PB Russell, and J Redemann. 2007. "A case study of modeled aerosol optical properties during the SAFARI 2000 campaign." Applied Optics 46(22):5263-5275.
- Kuzmanoski M, MA Box, GP Box, B Schmid, J Wang, PB Russell, H Jonsson, and JH Seinfeld. 2007. "Aerosol properties computed from aircraft-based observations during the ACE-Asia campaign: 1. Aerosol size distributions retrieved from optical thickness measurements." Aerosol Science and Technology 41(2):202-216. doi:10.1080/02786820601126789
- Livingston J, B Schmid, J Redemann, PB Russell, S Ramirez, J Eilers, W Gore, S Howard, J Pommier, EJ Fetzer, SW Seemann, E Borbas, D Wolfe, and AM Thompson. 2007. "Comparison of Water Vapor Measurements by Airborne Sun photometer and Near-Coincident In Situ and Satellite Sensors during INTEX-ITCT 2004." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 112(D12S16):, doi:10.1029/2006JD007733
- Russell PB, JM Livingston, J Redemann, B Schmid, S Ramirez, J Eilers, RA Kahn, DA Chu, LA Remer, PK Quinn, MJ Rood, and W Wang. 2007. "Multi-Grid-Cell Validation of Satellite Aerosol Property Retrievals in INTEX/ITCT/ICARTT 2004." Journal of Geophysical Research. D. (Atmospheres) 112:Art. No. D12509.