Terrestrial Processes & Adaptation
Elizabeth L. Malone's interests focus on policy-relevant social science research in global change issues, developing studies that integrate disparate worldviews, data sources, and scientific approaches. Her work has contributed to linkages among global environmental change, globalization, economic development, equity, and sustainability. With colleagues, she developed the Vulnerability-Resilience Indicators Model (VRIM), a structured method for analyzing country, sector, and local vulnerabilities to climate change. She has contributed to national security analyses of climate change in various regions of the world and extended the notion of adaptive capacity, integrating it with more general development issues. She participated in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change's Fourth Assessment Report as a Review Editor and Contributing Author and so shared in the 2007 Nobel Peace Prize.
Malone's 2010 book, Debating Climate Change: Pathways through Argument to Agreement, uses discourse and social network analysis to demonstrate points of agreement among seemingly opposed arguments in the climate change debate. She edited, with Steve Rayner, Human Choice and Climate Change, a four-volume assessment of social science research relevant to global climate change, jointly authoring, with Steve Rayner, the summary volume and an invited paper for Nature on the conclusions. She also has extensive experience in stakeholder involvement in environmental issues. She holds a Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Maryland.
Education and Credentials
- Ph.D., Sociology, University of Maryland
- M.A., English, Purdue University
- B.A., English, Kalamazoo College
Awards and Recognitions
- Laboratory Award for Scientific and Technical Achievement (participation in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, which won the Nobel Peace Prize), 2007
- NSF Director’s Award for Collaborative Integration, 2005
- Intergovernmental Personnel Act assignment to National Science Foundation, 2004-2005
- Outstanding Performance Award, National Security Division, PNNL, USA, 2003
- Outstanding Performance Award, Fundamental Science Div., PNNL, USA, 2001
- 2000 Federal Energy and Water Management Award
- Appreciation Plaque, Office of Science, Department of Energy, May 1999
- Engle NL, A de Bremond, EL Malone, and RH Moss. 2014. "Towards a resilience indicator framework for making climate-change adaptation decisions." Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 19(8):1295-1312. doi:10.1007/s11027-013-9475-x
- McDermott C, and EL Malone. 2014. The FEMP Awards Program: Fostering Institutional Change and Energy Management Excellence. PNNL-23318, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Wolfe AK, EL Malone, JH Heerwagen, and JP Dion. 2014. Behavioral Change and Building Performance: Strategies for Significant, Persistent, and Measurable Institutional Change. PNNL-23264, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Malone EL, RC Diamond, AK Wolfe, TF Sanquist, CT Payne, and J Dion. 2013. "Implementing sustainability: the behavioral-institutional dimension." Sustain Magazine 28(Spring/Summer):28-32.
- Malone EL. 2013. "Climate Change and National Security." Weather, Climate, and Society 5(1):93-95. doi:10.1175/WCAS-D-12-00016.1
- Dooley JJ, EL Malone, and JA Bradbury. 2012. "Response to "The value of CCS public opinion research" by Fleishman et al. (2011)." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 7:267. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2011.09.003
- Janetos AC, EL Malone, E Mastrangelo, K Hardee, and A de Bremond. 2012. "Linking climate change and development goals: Framing, integrating, measuring." Climate and Development 4(2):141-156. doi:10.1080/17565529.2012.726195
- Rice JS, RH Moss, PJ Runci, KL Anderson, and EL Malone. 2012. "Incorporating Stakeholder Decision Support Needs into an Integrated Regional Earth System Model ." Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change 17(7):805-819. doi:10.1007/s11027-011-9345-3
- Hultman N, EL Malone, PJ Runci, G Carlock, and KL Anderson. 2012. "Factors in low-carbon energy transformations: Comparing nuclear and bioenergy in Brazil, Sweden, and the United States." Energy Policy 40:131-146. doi:10.1016/j.enpol.2011.08.064
- Malone EL, and NL Engle. 2011. "Evaluating regional vulnerability to climate change: purposes and methods." Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews. Climate Change 2(3):462-474. doi:10.1002/wcc.116
- Ibarraran ME, EL Malone, and AL Brenkert. 2010. "Climate Change Vulnerability and Resilience: Current Status and Trends for Mexico ." Environment, Development and Sustainability 12(3):365-388. doi:10.1007/s10668-009-9201-8
- Malone EL, JJ Dooley, and JA Bradbury. 2010. "Moving from Misinformation Derived from Public Attitude Surveys on Carbon Dioxide Capture and Storage toward Realistic Stakeholder Involvement." International Journal of Greenhouse Gas Control 4(2):419-425. doi:10.1016/j.ijggc.2009.09.004
- Malone EL, PJ Runci, and N Hultman. 2010. "Governing Technological Diffusion to Address Climate Change: Transformations in the Nuclear and Bioenergy sectors in Sweden, Brazil, and the United States." In Berlin Conference on the Human Dimensions of Global Environmental Change, October 8-9, 2010, Berlin, Germany. Environmental Policy Research Centre (FFU), Berlin, Germany.
- Malone EL, AJ Cowell, and RM Riensche. 2009. "The Future Interaction of Science and Innovation Policy for Climate Change and National Security." In 2009 Atlanta Conference on Science and Innovation Policy, October 2-3, 2009, Atlanta, GA, pp. 1-7. IEEE Computer Society, New York, NY. doi:10.1109/ACSIP.2009.5367857
- Malone EL. 2009. Debating Climate Change. Earthscan, Sterling, VA.
- Malone EL. 2009. "Integrated regional assessment: qualitative and quantitative issues." In Integrated Regional Assessment of Global Climate Change, ed. CG Knight, J Jager, pp. 50-67. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Bray DA, S Costigan, K Daum, H Lavoix, EL Malone, and C Pallaris. 2009. "PERSPECTIVE: Cultivating Strategic Foresight for Energy and Environmental Security." Environmental Practice 11(03):209-211.
- Malone EL, and AL Brenkert. 2009. "Vulnerability, Sensitivity, and Coping/Adaptive Capacity Worldwide." Chapter 2 in Distributional Impacts Of Climate Change And Disasters: concepts and cases, ed. M. Ruth, ME Ibarraran. Edward Elgar Publishing, Northhampton, MA.
- Malone EL, JA Bradbury, and JJ Dooley. 2009. "Keeping CCS Stakeholder Involvement in Perspective." In Energy Procedia: 9th International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Contorol Technologies (GHGT9), vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 4789-4794. Elsevier, London, United Kingdom. doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2009.02.305
- Sanfilippo AP, AJ Cowell, EL Malone, RM Riensche, JJ Thomas, SD Unwin, PD Whitney, and PC Wong. 2009. "Technosocial Predictive Analytics in Support of Naturalistic Decision Making." In NDM9: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Naturalistic Decision Making, June 23-26, 2009, London, United Kingdom, ed. BLW Wong. British Computer Society, Swindon, United Kingdom.
- Ibarraran ME, EL Malone, and AL Brenkert. 2008. Climate Change Vulnerability and Resilience: Current Status and Trends for Mexico . PNNL-18136, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Malone EL, and AL Brenkert. 2008. "Uncertainty in Resilience to Climate Change in India and Indian States ." Climatic Change 91(3-4):451-476. doi:10.1007/s10584-008-9472-3
- Pitcher HM, GM Stokes, and EL Malone. 2007. "Whither Integrated Assessment? Reflections from the Leading Edge." Chapter 31 in Human-Induced Climate Change: An Interdisciplinary Assessment, ed. ME Schlesinger, et al, pp. 377-386. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Edmonds JA, MA Wise, JJ Dooley, SH Kim, SJ Smith, PJ Runci, LE Clarke, EL Malone, and GM Stokes. 2007. Global Energy Technology Strategy: Addressing Climate Change Phase 2 Findings from an international Public-Private Sponsored Research Program. Battetlle Memorial Institute, College Park, MD.
- Yohe G, EL Malone, AL Brenkert, M Schlesinger, H Meij, and X Xiaoshi. 2006. "Global Distributions of Vulnerability to Climate Change." Integrated Assessment Journal 6(3):35-44.
- Brenkert AL, and EL Malone. 2005. "Modeling Vulnerability and Resilience to Climate Change: A Case Study of India and Indian States." Climatic Change 72(1-2):57-102.
- Malone EL. 2005. "Finding a Way: The Potential for Adoption and Diffusion of Carbon Dioxide Capture and Sequestration Technologies." In Seventh International Conference on Greenhouse Gas Control Technologies (GHGT-7), vol. 2, pp. 1531-1536. Elsevier, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Bradbury JA, KM Branch, and EL Malone. 2003. An Evaluation of DOE-EM Public Participation Programs . PNNL-14200, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- McMakin AH, EL Malone, and RE Lundgren. 2002. "Motivating residents to conserve energy without financial incentives." Environment and Behavior 34(6):848-864.
- Malone EL, and SF Rayner. 2001. "Role of the research standpoint in integrating global-scale and local-scale research." Climate Research 19:173-178.
- Ritzer G, and EL Malone. 2001. "Globalization Theory: Lessons from the Exportation of McDonaldization and the New Means of Consumption ." Chapter 8 in Explorations in the Sociology of Consumption: Fast Food, Credit Cards and Casinos, vol. 1, ed. Ritzer, George, pp. 160-180. Sage Publications Ltd, London, United Kingdom.
- Webler T, EL Malone, KM Branch, and JA Bradbury. 2001. "Moving Toward a Theory of Evaluating Public Participation in Environmental Decision-Making." In Proceedings of the 6th Biennial Conference on Communication and the Environment, Cincinnati Ohio, July 27-30, 2001, ed. Marie-France Aepli, John W. Delicath, and Stephen P. Depoe, pp. 254-270. University of Cincinnati. Center for Environmental Communication Studies, Cincinnati, OH.
- Ritzer G, and EL Malone. 2000. "Globalization Theory: Lessons from the Exportation of McDonaldization and the New Means of Consumption." American Studies 41(2/3):97-118.
- Edgerton SA, X Bian, JC Doran, JD Fast, JM Hubbe, EL Malone, WJ Shaw, CD Whiteman, S Zhong, JL Arriaga, E Ortiz, M Ruiz, G Sosa, E Vega, T Limon, F Guzman, J Archuleta, JE Bossert, S Elliott, JT Lee, LA McNair, JC Chow, JG Watson, RL Coulter, PV Doskey, JS Gaffney, NA Marley, W Neff, and R Petty. 1999. "Particulate Air Pollution in Mexico City: A Collaborative Research Project." Journal of the Air and Waste Management Association 49:1221-1229.
- McMakin AH, RE Lundgren, and EL Malone. 1999. Energy Efficiency Campaign for Residential Housing at the Fort Lewis Army Installation. PNNL-13089, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
Whither Integrated Assessment? Reflections from the Leading Edge Pitcher HM, GM Stokes, and EL Malone. 2007. "Whither Integrated Assessment? Reflections from the Leading Edge." In Human Induced Climate Change: An Interdisciplinary Approach. Human-induced Climate Change: An Interdisciplinary Assessment , Cambridge, United Kingdom.