Atmospheric Measurement & Data Sciences
Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Mr. Morris specializes in the installation, operation, and maintenance of field measurement systems for meteorological, climatological, and wind energy research. He serves as the instrument mentor of the infrared thermometers, total sky imagers, laser ceilometers, and infrared sky imager for the U.S. Department of Energy's (DOE) Atmospheric Radiation Measurement program. His research has been concerned with wind turbulence characteristics and resource assessment for wind energy applications; measurements of atmospheric chemistry and aerosols from a research aircraft facility; and measurements of precipitable water vapor, cloud-base temperature, and cloud-fraction imagery at climate research facilities.
- Meteorological field measurements
- Wind energy
- Infrared radiometry
Education and Credentials
- Graduate studies, Environmental Sciences, Washington State University
- B.S., Atmospheric Sciences, University of Washington
Affiliations and Professional Service
- American Geophysical Union
- American Meteorological Society
- American Wind Energy Association
Awards and Recognitions
- Federal Laboratory Consortium Award for Excellence in Technology Transfer, U.S. DOE, 1994
- Flaherty JE, WJ Shaw, VR Morris, JM Wilczak, AB White, T Ayers, J Jordan, and CW King. 2015. Installation and Initial Operation of DOE's 449-MHz Wind Profiling Radars on the U.S. West Coast. PNNL-24866, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ahn MH, D Han, HY Won, and VR Morris. 2015. "A Cloud Detection Algorithm using the Downwelling Infrared Radiance Measured by an Infrared Pyrometer of the Ground-based Microwave Radiometer." Atmospheric Measurement Techniques 8(2):553-556. doi:10.5194/amt-8-553-2015
- Klebe D, RD Blatherwick, and VR Morris. 2014. "Ground-based All-sky Mid-infrared and Visible Imagery for Purposes of Characterizing Cloud Properties." Atmospheric Measurement Techniques 7:637-645. doi:10.5194/amt-7-637-2014
- Mioduszewski JR, XY Yu, VR Morris, CM Berkowitz, and JE Flaherty. 2011. "In-Situ Monitoring of Trace Gases in a Non-Urban Environment." Atmospheric Pollution Research 2(1):89-98. doi:10.5094/APR.2011.011
- Mattioli V, ER Westwater, S Gutman, and VR Morris. 2005. "Forward Model Studies of Water Vapor Using Scanning Microwave Radiometers, Global Positioning System, and Radiosondes during the Cloudiness Intercomparison Experiment." IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing 43(5):1012-1021.
- Revercomb HE, DD Turner, DC Tobin, RO Knuteson, WF Feltz, JC Barnard, J Bosenberg, SA Clough, D Cook, R Ferrare, JEM Goldsmith, S Gutman, RN Halthore, BM Lesht, JC Liljegren, H Linne, JJ Michalsky, JR, VR Morris, W Porch, S Richardson, B Schmid, ME Splitt, MA Van Hove, ER Westwater, and DN Whiteman. 2003. "The ARM Program's Water Vapor Intensive Observation Periods - Overview, Initial Accomplishments, and Future Challenges." Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 84(2):217-236.
- Barnard JC, LL Wendell, and VR Morris. 1998. "Optimal Filtering of AC Output Anemometers." Journal of Atmospheric and Oceanic Technology 15(6):1261-1271.